Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: What's your favourite set list?


Banana Republic

Status: Offline
Posts: 71
Date:
What's your favourite set list?
Permalink  
 


Suppose the Rats will go on next year and do another tour. I thought about that last week on the way back after the amazing Roundhouse gig in London and decided to come back if they do another UK tour next year (I won't go to festivals, even if they play here in The Netherlands; I really hate festivals...). So, I'm asking you, what are your thoughts about your favourite set list for (hopefully) a next tour?

By the way: although I was amazed by the Rats I will hope that next tour they will play the normal versions of Do You In, Mary and some other songs.
No blues improvisations please!!! Garry and Darren are good blokes, but they're not Gary Moore or SRV. If you wanna slow down, use a
good song to slow down like A Hold Of Me for instance. If you play the normal versions, there's room for three or even more songs.

Attention please! To me the best set list is NOT the same as a list of the best songs. Eleven of the best football players won't guarantee the best team either. To build a good set list in my opinion is working like an architect. Not just simply stones above each other, but a well-thought-out plan (song keys, up tempo, slow down, opening songs, just for fun songs, last song before encore, etc.). About song keys: a lot of you won't care about, but to me it's always important that an artist play a song in the same key as the original. Fortunately the Rats play the songs in the original key!

The songs I've chosen are a bit more keyboard oriented and may be a surprise for some of you, but this is really my "dream set list" (in this order) for another Rats tour. Again, I don't say these are the best Rats's songs, this is only my best set list.


I'm curious about your set lists.

MY FAVOURITE BTR SET LIST:

00 The Boomtown Rats (intro)

01 Blind Date
02 Drag Me Down
03 Keep It Up

04 Wind Chill Factor (Minus Zero)
05 Dave

06 Don't Believe What You Read
07 It's All The Rage

08 Sleep
09 A Hold Of Me

10 Nothing Happened Today
11 (She's Gonna) Do You In (normal version)

12 Me and Howard Hughes
13 Banana Republic
14 The Elephant's Graveyard
15 Whitehall 1212

16 Like Clockwork
17 Never Bite The Hand That Feeds
18 Joey's On The Street Again
19 She's So Modern

Encore 1:
20 I Don't Like Mondays
21 Mary Of The 4th Form (normal version)
22 Lookin' After No. 1

Encore 2:
23 Never In A Million Years
24 Rat Trap



__________________


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

24 tracks. Fabulous, but you'd be lucky. They've reduced the set list as it is. I too hope it's not just festivals. Much prefer standalone gigs.

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


Banana Republic

Status: Offline
Posts: 71
Date:
Permalink  
 

Jules wrote:

24 tracks. Fabulous, but you'd be lucky. They've reduced the set list as it is.


No problem. Last year I went to Macca at the Rotterdam Ahoy' and he played 42 songs (I repeat 42). Don't believe what you read?

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/paul-mccartney/2012/ahoy-rotterdam-netherlands-7bde3224.html.

I can make it if you can; if Macca can play 42, the Rats can play at least 24, I guess...



__________________


House on Fire

Status: Offline
Posts: 185
Date:
Permalink  
 

Great set list, would love to hear Whitehall 1212. 24 tracks would also be good but can't see Geldof's voice holding up that long if the tour is a lengthy one. It sounded a bit rusty at the Roundhouse last week.

__________________


Banana Republic

Status: Offline
Posts: 71
Date:
Permalink  
 

Ian D wrote:

Great set list, would love to hear Whitehall 1212. 24 tracks would also be good but can't see Geldof's voice holding up that long if the tour is a lengthy one. It sounded a bit rusty at the Roundhouse last week.


Thank you Ian.

Yes, you're right about Bob's voice, he uses his voice not like a singer should, it's more kind of "shout-singing" so I have my concerns too. I don't know if he has a vocal coach, but I don't think so. On the other hand, especially if you listen to the (Concert Live) Roundhouse CD, the rusty edge makes it sound very exciting and you hear that he's giving 1000%. But if you do that each gig, and I suppose Geldof does, that can be dangerous. Only 6 to go this year. And then they can look back at a very succesful come back tour.



__________________


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 7162
Date:
Permalink  
 

Interestingly enough, we did this back in 2008

http://boomtownrats.activeboard.com/t15465252/fantasy-geldof-set/

This was before there was any sign of any reformation. I have 11 of the current set (out of 16), and the Feelgood cover the Barton/Bradbury Rats did.  Also Me & Howard Hughes is in there but that sadly seems to have been omitted in recent gigs. 

If I could change it, I would swap Riot in Cell Block #9 for Neon Heart as the Rats have done themselves and probably shuffle it to be closer to teh current order with Eva Braun starting it off and Rat Trap concluding it.

2013

Eva Braun
Like Clockwork
Neon Heart
She's Gonna Do You In
Blind Date
Close As You'll Ever Be
Kicks/Joey  (medley) 
House on Fire
Banana Republic
Living In An Island
Me & Howard Hughes
Don't Believe What You Read
Someone's Looking At You
She's So Modern
Mary of the Fourth Form
Looking After Number One
Rat Trap

encore
Barefootin'
Never Bite The Hand That Feeds



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2815
Date:
Permalink  
 

BVD1965 wrote:
Ian D wrote:

Great set list, would love to hear Whitehall 1212. 24 tracks would also be good but can't see Geldof's voice holding up that long if the tour is a lengthy one. It sounded a bit rusty at the Roundhouse last week.


Thank you Ian.

Yes, you're right about Bob's voice, he uses his voice not like a singer should, it's more kind of "shout-singing" so I have my concerns too. I don't know if he has a vocal coach, but I don't think so. On the other hand, especially if you listen to the (Concert Live) Roundhouse CD, the rusty edge makes it sound very exciting and you hear that he's giving 1000%. But if you do that each gig, and I suppose Geldof does, that can be dangerous. Only 6 to go this year. And then they can look back at a very succesful come back tour.


 Bob Geldof vocal coach lol.smile What, some guy in a tuxedo telling him how to sing Rat Trap???

  he uses his voice not like a singer should, it's more kind of "shout-singing":

His voice if fitting for the type of emotions and music he is conveying. 



__________________


Banana Republic

Status: Offline
Posts: 71
Date:
Permalink  
 

noelindublin wrote:

Bob Geldof vocal coach lol.smile What, some guy in a tuxedo telling him how to sing Rat Trap???

  he uses his voice not like a singer should, it's more kind of "shout-singing":

His voice if fitting for the type of emotions and music he is conveying. 


Yes, I expected this one. I didn't want to criticize Bob, I think he has a great personality, he is a great entertainer and I saw at The Roundhouse one of the best gigs of the last 5, maybe 10 years. Period. But I only wanted to express my concerns about the guy's voice. He's not 32 anymore, he's 62. There are a lot of great singers who don't sing by the book and they have never any problems. Freddie Mercury never took any vocal lessons, but he had an exceptional talent. But listen to your body and don't be too sturdy. Even if you're Sir Bob. A vocal coach also have a role to protect someone against him-/herself.

I already played electric guitar for four years when I met for the first time a professional guitar teacher. The first guitar lesson I hardly played a note on the fretboard. All we did was to get the balance of the instrument, body and arms right. After that lesson it was no more Peter Hook or Bob Mould pose anymore. But I never suffered from wrist pain anymore.

What, some guy in a tuxedo telling him how to sing Rat Trap

I think that Bob has a lot of friends or business partners wearing tuxedoes and wearing a Rats shirt at the weekend...

 



__________________


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 7162
Date:
Permalink  
 

Jules wrote:

Others have told me that too. I'd get bored of 3 hours of Macca, unless he did purely Beatles songs. But I wouldn't get bored of 3 hours of Rats.


 Julian Cope and Elvis Costello do three hour sets and neither are boring.



-- Edited by ArrGee on Thursday 7th of November 2013 09:19:53 PM

__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2617
Date:
Permalink  
 

We got chatting to a couple from Knutsford last night who said they saw Macca 3 years ago and he was on for 3 hours. That's some going at 67.

Bob's only 62 so plenty of mileage left.



__________________


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

Others have told me that too. I'd get bored of 3 hours of Macca, unless he did purely Beatles songs. But I wouldn't get bored of 3 hours of Rats.

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


Like Clockwork

Status: Offline
Posts: 25
Date:
Permalink  
 

Jules wrote:

Others have told me that too. I'd get bored of 3 hours of Macca, unless he did purely Beatles songs. But I wouldn't get bored of 3 hours of Rats.


 Amen to that. But I think they would have to pace themselves.

They just merge from one song to another without a chance for any of the band to bless themselves.

Really jealous of those going to Doncaster tonight. Hope they have as great a time as I had in Manchester



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2617
Date:
Permalink  
 

I couldn't do 5 minutes of Julian Cope thank you very much (I'd tolerate World Shut Your Mouth for the 3 or 4 minutes that lasts but that's about it) but I'd happily see Elvis Costello for 3 hours. When 'The other side of summer' came out in the 90s, I was amazed it barely dented the charts. Never had a great deal of time for Macca - I'll take my hat off to him for his stamina and undoubted talent but actually, I never got the Beatles which I know might sound extraordinary, but I own nothing of theirs and find Macca rather a smug, preening, full of his own self-importance sort of guy. Sorry. The thought of 'Wonderful Christmastime' reappearing shortly everywhere fills me with dread. Still at least it won't be as bad as the year we had the Frog Chorus song or whatever it was called as well as WC.

Still, it takes all sorts. I can't fathom why some never got the Rats.



__________________


Like Clockwork

Status: Offline
Posts: 25
Date:
Permalink  
 

I liked the Teardrop Explodes. Reward and When I Dream are particular favourites. Had a ticket to see them in the early 80s but couldnt go. Not keen on Cope's solo stuff though

Loved Elvis Costello. Armed Forces was the third LP I bought. Tonic for the Troops was my first and Parrallel Lines was my second.

I liked the Beatles but Wings and Macca in general, no thanks. John Lennon was the genius in that partnership for me. Pity they didnt go for the reunion with Julian in his place for Live Aid. I am pretty certain that the Beatles would have reformed for Live Aid if Lennon had still been alive. Imagine the money that would have raised and it would have made Bob's job a lot easier.

I am with you Mark on the mystery of the Rats not getting the recognition they deserved. Think the Irish factor was part of it plus they were singing about things other bands wouldn't dream of. Me and Howard Hughes and I never loved Eva Braun require a little intelligence to appreciate the lyrics. Rats fans are just so god damn intelligent. That's why we get them while others dont (that's my theory anyway)



__________________


Dave

Status: Offline
Posts: 407
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:

The thought of 'Wonderful Christmastime' reappearing shortly everywhere fills me with dread. Still at least it won't be as bad as the year we had the Frog Chorus song or whatever it was called as well as WC.


Not the mention my dreaded fear of Do They Know It's Christmas?     I was working in Dublin three or four years ago and every time I went into a shop on Grafton Street or O'Connel Street it was playing.  Even at breakfast in the hotel it would be played twice.   Last year when I went to Dublin to see the Rats, I somehow managed to avoid it for the whole of my trip.

I think the only festive songs I like are Slade, The Pogues and Jona Lewie.  The rest are generally sh!te. 



__________________
 What is this guy talking about? 


Dave

Status: Offline
Posts: 407
Date:
Permalink  
 

Marti-Anne wrote:

I liked the Beatles but Wings and Macca in general, no thanks. John Lennon was the genius in that partnership for me.

Wings! They're only the band the Beatles could have been! smile

I think the "genius" of Lennon is overstated.  After all, what did he do on his own?   His most famous song could have been written by McCartney.  George Martin was the genius in The Beatles. 



__________________
 What is this guy talking about? 


Like Clockwork

Status: Offline
Posts: 25
Date:
Permalink  
 

ArrGee1991 wrote:
Marti-Anne wrote:

I liked the Beatles but Wings and Macca in general, no thanks. John Lennon was the genius in that partnership for me.

Wings! They're only the band the Beatles could have been! smile

I think the "genius" of Lennon is overstated.  After all, what did he do on his own?   His most famous song could have been written by McCartney.  George Martin was the genius in The Beatles. 


I take your point about George Martin. However Wings being the only band the Beatles could have been! No way.

Lennon did some amazing solo work. Imagine (I know that is an obvious one), Jealous Guy, Working Class Hero, Nobody Told Me etc. Whilst McCartney gave us Mull of Kintyre and Pipes of Peace. There is no contest in my eyes which of them did the better work after the Beatles.

Lennon was getting back into his stride when he was shot so who knows what he would have done.

With you on the festive hit list. Best of the Christmas songs though I'd add Greg Lake to the list

 



__________________


Banana Republic

Status: Offline
Posts: 71
Date:
Permalink  
 

Jules wrote:

Others have told me that too. I'd get bored of 3 hours of Macca, unless he did purely Beatles songs. But I wouldn't get bored of 3 hours of Rats.


3 hours of Macca didn't get me bored at all at the Gelredome, Arnhem 2009 and Ahoy' Rotterdam 2012. Great band (close your eyes and you hear The Beatles) and great set lists. OK, the Wings songs are not my favourites too, but he can build a great set list. Only Macca's jokes are boring if you hear the same ones as 3 years ago...
If he plays half an hour with Nirvana as support act for the Rats, wow I don't mind. Anything better than Patrik Fitzgerald. But you can solve that problem in one day, but he keeps coming back...furious

Free hint/tip/suggestion (I don't know the right word in English so you can choose the right one) for Beatles' lovers as I am, go to the Cavern Club and book a night when The Cavern Club Beatles are playing. I was there a month ago and their show is really stunning (awesome is also right I believe, but it is more American English?). More than 3 hours of Beatles songs and you can hardly hear the difference between them and the real ones. They take your through the different eras of The Beatles and they even look a little bit like them. Tony Coburn (Paul McCartney) plays even left-handed bass guitar! The same one as Pete Briquette uses nowadays (Höfner Violin). So rather scary sometimes (I mean that positive of course...) and it was a relief when they made some mistakes, otherwise you couldn't hear the difference. Pity that I don't play the guitar since 1995 or so, because you can play with them too on stage!!! Next time I go to Liverpool, I going to rehearse for a couple of weeks and take my Rickenbacker with me (and a video camera of course biggrin).

But hey, can we go back to topic please!!! Only ArrGee posted a set list. I'm still curious about your one...hmm. Other question, OK again off topic, not about the set list, but about their clothes. Don't they have any other shirt or jacket or what? Can't they afford some other things? Gary looks like a Bulgarian truck driver and Darren, it's a little bit like Blackadder with that army coat... Come on guys, you can do better than that.



__________________


Dave

Status: Offline
Posts: 407
Date:
Permalink  
 

Marti-Anne wrote:

I liked the Teardrop Explodes. Reward and When I Dream are particular favourites. Had a ticket to see them in the early 80s but couldnt go. Not keen on Cope's solo stuff though

Loved Elvis Costello. Armed Forces was the third LP I bought. Tonic for the Troops was my first and Parallel Lines was my second.


Sums up how I feel about Geldof.  Julian's post-Teardrops career is a mixed bag, but there is so much of it that there are many great moments (World Shut Your Mouth, Fried, Saint Julian, Peggy Suicide, Jehovahkill, Interpreter, 20 Mothers,  Black Sheep and Brain Donor).  Even his books are brilliant.  Head On is the best rock star biog I have ever read.

My first album was Slayed?, but Tonic for the Troops was next.  after that it's all a bit of a blur



__________________
 What is this guy talking about? 


Like Clockwork

Status: Offline
Posts: 25
Date:
Permalink  
 

Maybe I will check out some of Julian Copes stuff then and his biog. World Shut Your Mouth put me off listening to anything else he did after that. But to be honest I was busy having kids and living in Thatchers Britain. (My precious LPs were sold to make ends meet so I have a grudge with her about that LOL) That's why V Deep was the last Rats album I bought although that will be remedied soon.

I can understand where you are coming from with Bob. I know sometimes artists want to try their own thing but I was a bit gutted when I saw the youtube clips of him in Southport singing TBR songs when Simon and Garry were playing as the Rats. I think he underestimated how good they were together which is why he has been talking about his surprise at the power of the band when they did finally play again. The difference between his performance in Southport (even with Pete there) and when he was playing with Simon and Garry is amazing.



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2617
Date:
Permalink  
 

MY FAVOURITE SET LIST:

00 The Boomtown Rats (intro)

01 I Never Loved Eva Braun
02 She's so Modern
03 Don't Believe What You Read

04 Wind Chill Factor (Minus Zero)
05 I Don't Like Mondays

06 Having my Picture Taken
07 Never in a Million Years

08 Real Different
09 Drag me Down

10 Keep it Up
11 Someone's Looking at You

12 Mary of the 4th Form
13 Banana Republic
14 The Elephants Graveyard (Guilty)
15 Like Clockwork

16 Joeys on the Street Again
17 House on Fire
18 He Watches it All
19 Rat Trap

Encore

20 Looking after No 1

21 Diamond Smiles

 



-- Edited by Mark L on Saturday 9th of November 2013 11:51:47 AM



-- Edited by Mark L on Saturday 9th of November 2013 11:52:48 AM

__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2617
Date:
Permalink  
 

I've no problem with Do They Know it's Christmas.  It's not just because Geldof had something of a hand in it, I just genuinely think it's a good song. 

I've an idea I've read it was going to be a Rats song called It's My World so frankly it's no surprise it comes over well to me.

Love the Slade and Wizzard Christmas songs.  A little known one I also like is the Waitresses with the Christmas Wrapping song. Only got to 45 in 1982 which was a travesty. 

 

Setlist for BVD 1965 coming soon!

 



__________________


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 7162
Date:
Permalink  
 

Marti-Anne wrote:
ArrGee1991 wrote:
Marti-Anne wrote:

I liked the Beatles but Wings and Macca in general, no thanks. John Lennon was the genius in that partnership for me.

Wings! They're only the band the Beatles could have been! smile

I think the "genius" of Lennon is overstated.  After all, what did he do on his own?   His most famous song could have been written by McCartney.  George Martin was the genius in The Beatles. 


I take your point about George Martin. However Wings being the only band the Beatles could have been! No way.

Lennon did some amazing solo work. Imagine (I know that is an obvious one), Jealous Guy, Working Class Hero, Nobody Told Me etc. Whilst McCartney gave us Mull of Kintyre and Pipes of Peace. There is no contest in my eyes which of them did the better work after the Beatles.

Lennon was getting back into his stride when he was shot so who knows what he would have done.

With you on the festive hit list. Best of the Christmas songs though I'd add Greg Lake to the list

 


 RE: Wings - search for Alan Partridge...

Overall, I don't think either's solo work is up to much. Lennon's last album only sold after his shooting and wasn't that good.   McCartney has had his moments, Live & Let Die is the best Bond song ever and he has a number of songs like Waterfalls, Maybe I'm Amazed, Give Ireland Back To The Irish, Jet, Pipes of Peace, Silly Love Songs...  McCartney is a very talented musician.  His bass playing is very influential and he has mastered piano & guitar.  Maybe he lacks depth, but he is a real virtuoso.   The truth is that they did the best work in The Beatles as they complimented each other.  Bit like Geldof doing his best work with the Rats.



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 7162
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:

Love the Slade and Wizzard Christmas songs.  


 I fcuking hate Wizzard.  At the time, they were glam rock for grannies.  



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


Like Clockwork

Status: Offline
Posts: 25
Date:
Permalink  
 

ArrGee wrote:
Mark L wrote:

Love the Slade and Wizzard Christmas songs.  


 I fcuking hate Wizzard.  At the time, they were glam rock for grannies.  


 ArrGee. You are making out grannies is a derogatory term. You're on dangerous territory on a blog for a band whose fans are likely to include a number of grannies.  (Alhough I prefer Nana Tina to Grannie!)  Ha Ha

Wizzards Christmas song appealled to the primary school age range from what I can remember.

Still working on my ideal set list so that it isnt too long. Its hard with so many good songs to choose from!



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2617
Date:
Permalink  
 

I was 7 when Slade and Wizzard went head to head so that fits, Marti-Anne. 

Always had a soft spot for things Roy Wood.  If you like the Beach Boys, you may (or may not) like a solo track of his called Oh What a Shame. 

 



__________________


Like Clockwork

Status: Offline
Posts: 25
Date:
Permalink  
 

ArrGee wrote:
Marti-Anne wrote:
ArrGee1991 wrote:
Marti-Anne wrote:

I liked the Beatles but Wings and Macca in general, no thanks. John Lennon was the genius in that partnership for me.

Wings! They're only the band the Beatles could have been! smile

I think the "genius" of Lennon is overstated.  After all, what did he do on his own?   His most famous song could have been written by McCartney.  George Martin was the genius in The Beatles. 


I take your point about George Martin. However Wings being the only band the Beatles could have been! No way.

Lennon did some amazing solo work. Imagine (I know that is an obvious one), Jealous Guy, Working Class Hero, Nobody Told Me etc. Whilst McCartney gave us Mull of Kintyre and Pipes of Peace. There is no contest in my eyes which of them did the better work after the Beatles.

Lennon was getting back into his stride when he was shot so who knows what he would have done.

With you on the festive hit list. Best of the Christmas songs though I'd add Greg Lake to the list

 


 RE: Wings - search for Alan Partridge...

Overall, I don't think either's solo work is up to much. Lennon's last album only sold after his shooting and wasn't that good.   McCartney has had his moments, Live & Let Die is the best Bond song ever and he has a number of songs like Waterfalls, Maybe I'm Amazed, Give Ireland Back To The Irish, Jet, Pipes of Peace, Silly Love Songs...  McCartney is a very talented musician.  His bass playing is very influential and he has mastered piano & guitar.  Maybe he lacks depth, but he is a real virtuoso.   The truth is that they did the best work in The Beatles as they complimented each other.  Bit like Geldof doing his best work with the Rats.


 To be fair after the Beatles I dont think either Lennon or McCartney could have done much better as solo artists. Even after all these years the Beatles are still influential and popular. My son bought all their albums as a teenager and he normally favours bands like The Drop Kick Murphies and The Misfits.

I agree that it is down to dynamics within bands both for the Beatles and TBR. Bob Geldof might do good solo work but when it comes to Rats songs, he needs to be with the rest of the guy for the magic to happen. Just hope that he wants to keep it up



__________________


Like Clockwork

Status: Offline
Posts: 25
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:

I was 7 when Slade and Wizzard went head to head so that fits, Marti-Anne. 

Always had a soft spot for things Roy Wood.  If you like the Beach Boys, you may (or may not) like a solo track of his called Oh What a Shame. 

 


 Had to check when this was a hit. I was 10 so an older woman.

I remember my little sisters loving it at the time. Think it was all that glitter!



__________________


Like Clockwork

Status: Offline
Posts: 25
Date:
Permalink  
 

This is what I would like to see the Rats playing. Really hard to whittle it down!

 

The Boomtown Rats

Someones Looking at You

I Never Loved Eva Braun

Nice n Neat

Shes So Modern

Mary Of The Fourth Form

Dont Believe What You Read

Having My Picture Taken

Living In An Island

Banana Republic

The Elephants Graveyard (Guilty)

Like Clockwork

Joeys On The Street Again

Never In a Million Years

He Watches It All

Shes Gonna Do You In

Looking After No 1

Keep It Up

Never Bite The Hand That Feeds

Dave

When The Night Comes

Diamond Smiles

I Dont Like Mondays

 

Encore:

Back To Boomtown

Nothing Happened Today

Rat Trap

 

 

 

 



__________________


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 7162
Date:
Permalink  
 

Marti-Anne wrote:
ArrGee wrote:
Mark L wrote:

Love the Slade and Wizzard Christmas songs.  


 I fcuking hate Wizzard.  At the time, they were glam rock for grannies. 

 

Wizzards Christmas song appealled to the primary school age range from what I can remember.


 Didn't appeal to me at the time and I was at primary school. I thought they were sh!te then and still think they fcuking are. A few Christmases ago Roy wood turned up and did that song as as an encore with dodgy. Shame, as it was a great gig up to that point.

I liked sweet, slade, t rex and bowie at primary school, which I'm kinda proud of. Will admit to liking gary glitter, but I grew too old for him.  One band I am a bit embarrassed for liking back then are showaddywaddy. When I hear them now, I just can't think why I ever liked them. 



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2617
Date:
Permalink  
 

I'm not embarrassed to admit to liking anyone. When you've defended the Rats from 1981 to Isle of Wight 2013, there's no problem. 



__________________


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 7162
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:

I'm not embarrassed to admit to liking anyone. When you've defended the Rats from 1981 to Isle of Wight 2013, there's no problem. 


 But the rats are good. Showaddywaddy ain't.



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 7162
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:

I know the Rats are good and so do you......but decreasing numbers thought the same post-Mondo Bongo. 

Now that I'm 46 and more or less resistant to the whims of fashion, Showaddywaddy look like they might be a good night out. Their catalogue is a tad lightweight, but thats a statement you could level at most pop acts. They had an engaging front man - ok not as engaging as Geldof - but they looked like they were having a good time and trying to crowd-please. 

Yet when I was at school, they were considered the complete, living embodiment of naff. Pretend Teddy boys who were far from cool, no matter how many winks and nods the singer aimed cheekily at the camera.

Come to think of it ArrGee, what on earth were you thinking?!


I know!  

My feeble defence is that back in 1976 when Under The Moon of Love was number one, I thought it was really good, so I got their hits LP (come to think of it I bought that Pre-Tonic for the Troops) and liked it as well, but as time went on and I discovered more interesting bands, I came to conclusion my twelve year old self had made a massive musical faux pas.

 



-- Edited by ArrGee on Sunday 10th of November 2013 09:40:03 PM

__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2617
Date:
Permalink  
 

I know the Rats are good and so do you......but decreasing numbers thought the same post-Mondo Bongo. 

Now that I'm 46 and more or less resistant to the whims of fashion, Showaddywaddy look like they might be a good night out. Their catalogue is a tad lightweight, but thats a statement you could level at most pop acts. They had an engaging front man - ok not as engaging as Geldof - but they looked like they were having a good time and trying to crowd-please. 

Yet when I was at school, they were considered the complete, living embodiment of naff. Pretend Teddy boys who were far from cool, no matter how many winks and nods the singer aimed cheekily at the camera.

Come to think of it ArrGee, what on earth were you thinking?!



__________________


Like Clockwork

Status: Offline
Posts: 25
Date:
Permalink  
 

I was into Donny Osmond. I've said it now!!!

So dont feel too bad about liking Showaddywaddy. There are worse things



__________________


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 7162
Date:
Permalink  
 

Marti-Anne wrote:

I was into Donny Osmond. 


 I always thought David Cassidy & The Partridge Family were far better  

Did you know Donny's two older brothers are deaf and his nephew is hard of hearing?  Any fcuking excuse not to listen to him!



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


Like Clockwork

Status: Offline
Posts: 25
Date:
Permalink  
 

I did know the two older brothers were deaf. You have a cruel streak in you ha ha



__________________


Banana Republic

Status: Offline
Posts: 71
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:

MY FAVOURITE SET LIST:

00 The Boomtown Rats (intro)

01 I Never Loved Eva Braun
02 She's so Modern
03 Don't Believe What You Read
04 Wind Chill Factor (Minus Zero)
05 I Don't Like Mondays
06 Having my Picture Taken
07 Never in a Million Years
08 Real Different
09 Drag me Down
10 Keep it Up
11 Someone's Looking at You
12 Mary of the 4th Form
13 Banana Republic
14 The Elephants Graveyard (Guilty)
15 Like Clockwork
16 Joeys on the Street Again
17 House on Fire
18 He Watches it All
19 Rat Trap

Encore

20 Looking after No 1
21 Diamond Smiles

 -- Edited by Mark L on Saturday 9th of November 2013 11:52:48 AM


Thanx, that's a great set list, Mark.

Don't Believe What You Read / Wind Chill Factor (Minus Zero) / Never In A Million Years / Drag Me Down / Keep It Up / The Elephants Graveyard / House On Fire, these songs can really add something to the 2013 set list. Maybe House On Fire and Banana Republic can be combined to one long reggae song. The House On Fire Dub Version is an excellent part of 80's music. 12" dub versions, oh man, sometimes I wish we were back in the 80's. 

A little bit to the negative side in my opinion are Real Different and 
He Watches it All. These tracks or, if you like, fillers, hmmm, I don't think that's a good idea, but of course it's yours not mine.
 

If I could add two songs to my set list of November 2nd it would be these "Anothers":

  • Another Piece of Red
  • Another Sad Story

If I may call this "Johnnie Fingers songs", these songs are fine examples of the importance of the BTR keyboard player. We did't talk much about him lasts months (we hoped we would see him together with Gerry at The Roundhouse), but I think his role is underrated. The first chord progressions of Another Sad Story combined with the sax part is so beautiful, it would be great if Alan may play this song next year. Or Johnnie himself...



__________________


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 7162
Date:
Permalink  
 

BVD1965 wrote:
 He Watches it All.....   ...filler... 

You must be kidding!  In my opinion, it is one of the best ten songs they ever made.  I didn't have it in my set list simply because I suspect that only five people in any audience would recognise it.  Also, I'm not sure how the current line up would play it live.



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


Banana Republic

Status: Offline
Posts: 71
Date:
Permalink  
 

Marti-Anne wrote:

This is what I would like to see the Rats playing. Really hard to whittle it down! 

The Boomtown Rats
Someones Looking at You
I Never Loved Eva Braun
Nice N Neat
She's So Modern
Mary Of The Fourth Form
Don't Believe What You Read
Having My Picture Taken
Living In An Island
Banana Republic
The Elephants Graveyard (Guilty)
Like Clockwork
Joey's On The Street Again
Never In a Million Years
He Watches It All
She's Gonna Do You In
Looking After No 1
Keep It Up
Never Bite The Hand That Feeds
Dave
When The Night Comes
Diamond Smiles
I Don't Like Mondays  

Encore:

Back To Boomtown
Nothing Happened Today
Rat Trap 


Thanx Marti-Anne.

Great set list and some surprising to me (in a positive way!):

Nice N Neat > could be a song written by Strummer and Jones. Nice guitar solo by Gerry.

Living In An Island > great song if I hear it again now. The song has so much musical styles in it. Reggae, Rock, Pop, maybe a bit of Ska and even Calypso. You can hear they can be versatile if they want. Again nice guitar solo by Gerry. And of course funny lyrics. I was twelve years old Dutch kid then, so at that time I thought it was just a good song, but hearing it now I agree it's a good and funny song and it would be great to play it live.

Dave > Very 80's. Pete plays a fretless bass guitar here I guess, that's also very 80's and he's even slapping!!! Anyway, I love the song, though it's a sad sad story. Because of that I doubt they will ever play it live again, if they ever play live again (hope so of course).

Back To Boomtown > Good song, weak chorus, but I prefer this one above "The Boomtown Rats". Although I don't think it is a particular Boomtown Rats song, it could be even a song by Barclay James Harvest if I'm honest...

Nothing Happened Today > Yesss, this one should be D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y on their set list.

He Watches It All is the only one I disagree, more of a filler to me. Thanks again.



__________________


Like Clockwork

Status: Offline
Posts: 25
Date:
Permalink  
 

forgot to put Hurt Hurts in as well.

"The Boomtown Rats" sounded great live, which is why it is on the list. I like the wistfulness of Back to Boomtown. Typical Irish feel about it (in terms of emotions)

thanks for the feedback.



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2617
Date:
Permalink  
 

I love Back to Boomtown and 'wistfulness' is a great word to describe its appeal. I sometimes think there's something wrong with me, because I seem to like this song more than others do round here, although most seem to feel it's the best of the 4 from Ratlife (the longer version is miles better as well).

No disagreement on He Watches It All - probably the best track on V Deep and should have been a single. 'Someone broke into his house last night, it's strange they didn't take a thing. Someone broke into his house last night, yet still it feels like they took everything' - anyone who's ever been burgled will know these words and the powerful way Geldof sings this particular verse nails the feeling completely. What an astonishingly good song.



__________________


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 7162
Date:
Permalink  
 

Bump - might have changed a bit over time...

__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


V Deep

Status: Offline
Posts: 958
Date:
Permalink  
 

My concert list would be
Eva Braun
Joey
Like Clockwork
Number 1
Mary
She Said No
Monster Monkeys
Banana Republic
House On Fire
Elephants Graveyard
Someones Looking
Dave
Mondays
Rat Trap

Drag Me Down
Diamond Smiles


__________________


I Don't Like Mondays

Status: Offline
Posts: 41
Date:
Permalink  
 

I can't believe that anybody would include any tracks from the last 2 albums , almost every track from the first 2 albums for me are better options. I guess that's the beauty of the Rats , a lot of variation in their musical styles which appeals to a lot of tastes .



__________________


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 7162
Date:
Permalink  
 

Ratboy wrote:

I can't believe that anybody would include any tracks from the last 2 albums , almost every track from the first 2 albums for me are better options. I guess that's the beauty of the Rats , a lot of variation in their musical styles which appeals to a lot of tastes .


Generally speaking, I agree. The first 2 LPs + B-sides along with a few choice tracks like Someones Looking, Banana Republic and House on Fire would be the perfect set list.  Dave and Drag Me Down off In The Long Grass would be the only songs off last two LPs that would make the cut for me.   I suspect a few off the last LP will be played on tour.  Good time to head for the bar smile



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


I Don't Like Mondays

Status: Offline
Posts: 41
Date:
Permalink  
 

sounds like a plansmile

 



__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard