Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: Home Beat


Loudmouth

Status: Online
Posts: 2537
Date:
Home Beat
Permalink  
 


'It's cold on that road, but its got that home beat'

Does this mean even though it is not warm outside, it's better than being in the house where mum and dad fight all the time or

It's not warm outside, but it's known territory in the town I live, where things tick along in a certain familiar way 



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

Always thought the latter myself. Never considered alternative, but would still stick with previous.



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

Although former does fit the context well...hmmmmm

confuse



__________________


Mondo Bongo

Status: Offline
Posts: 826
Date:
Permalink  
 

I always thought it meant preferable to be out in the cold than being at home ...

__________________


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

I always thought the latter of Mark L's suggestions, but I'm liking the alternatives.

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


Mondo Bongo

Status: Offline
Posts: 826
Date:
Permalink  
 

Wow isn't that strange? I never ever thought it would mean anything other than it beats being at home. Just to me the whole essence of Rat Trap is being stuck somewhere you don't want to be - though unfortunately there is an inevitability of it all - so I wouldn't have thought they would want to "celebrate" it in any way by identifying with a "home beat". But I guess as with anything once you have an impression or think you understand something, that is always the way you see it!

__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

I think it means territorial familiarity. The streets/area in which you're friends are likely to live,even though at home mum and dad are fighting.

Beat as in Police beat, the area that the Police patrol. Beat = area/territory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beat_(police)



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Online
Posts: 2537
Date:
Permalink  
 

Well I always thought the same as the majority, but walking to the pub the other night, my mate said 'it's freezing tonight but it beats home, the kids are playing up something rotten' or words to that effect. 

Rat Trap immediately came to mind and instantly put a different potential meaning to that line which now challenges a 37 year held belief. Incredible to find Lisa has held the alternative belief for a long time too. 

As Noel points out Home Beat was a Police Officer's normal beat but you can easily see the other meaning....



-- Edited by Mark L on Friday 16th of October 2015 01:57:24 PM

__________________


Mondo Bongo

Status: Offline
Posts: 826
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:

Well I always thought the same as the majority, but walking to the pub the other night, my mate said 'it's freezing tonight but it beats home, the kids are playing up something rotten' or words to that effect. 

Rat Trap immediately came to mind and instantly put a different potential meaning to that line which now challenges a 37 year held belief. Incredible to find Lisa has held the alternative belief for a long time too. 

As Noel points out Home Beat was a Police Officer's normal beat but you can easily see the other meaning....



-- Edited by Mark L on Friday 16th of October 2015 01:57:24 PM


 Well I've always had a habit of being or thinking a bit different to everybody else, just a bit out of step with the world somehow hmm  But then again that's why I latched onto the Boomtown Rats smile  

I can see why others attach a different meaning to the lyric - but I think I prefer my interpretation as that's what it "meant" to me ... But all very interesting anyway.  



__________________


Mondo Bongo

Status: Offline
Posts: 826
Date:
Permalink  
 

I don't know, what are you lot like?? Next you'll be telling me that "Like Clockwork" isn't about Clockwork Mice (or even Rats) ....
What a bunch of wind-up merchants you are!

__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1920
Date:
Permalink  
 

noelindublin wrote:

I think it means territorial familiarity. The streets/area in which you're friends are likely to live,even though at home mum and dad are fighting.

Beat as in Police beat, the area that the Police patrol. Beat = area/territory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beat_(police)


 I didn't associate it with police beat, but this was basically always my interpretation, a sort of familiar patch



__________________

https://www.facebook.com/CollectorManiac



The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

I didn't associate it with police beat, more of a home vibe.

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


Mondo Bongo

Status: Offline
Posts: 826
Date:
Permalink  
 

Sorry guys, I still don't get the "territory" angle. Just always read it that it meant trying to escape from it all and anywhere was better than home. Maybe I'm being too simplistic? Maybe somebody should ask Bob? Maybe he was being clever and meant it both ways?

__________________


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

OK, I've asked Pete. Failing that, if I get back stage on Thursday in Cork, I will try to ask Bob.

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


Loudmouth

Status: Online
Posts: 2537
Date:
Permalink  
 

Lisa wrote:

Sorry guys, I still don't get the "territory" angle. Just always read it that it meant trying to escape from it all and anywhere was better than home. Maybe I'm being too simplistic? Maybe somebody should ask Bob? Maybe he was being clever and meant it both ways?


 The 'escape' theory is getting very appealing for me now, compared to the "vibe' angle. After all, the preceding 3 lines build to that,  the feeling that no matter how cold it is out on the street, it 'beats' being in that home with incessant parental arguments and as Lisa says so well,  the whole song is about escape to something better, a better job, home, town, life.

We cracked the 'Rage' lyrics in the end, so maybe we will get 'Lucky' with US Drag me Down lyrics and the intended meaning of Home Beat. 



__________________


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

No response from Pete, will see if I can get any answers on Thursday. I'm curious now.

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

And the answer is.... The first option. It's cold outside but beats being st home. Bob also told me something else. He messed up on the recording of the line she takes off her coat. It should be she put on her coat. That makes more sense. I had wondered that years ago.

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


Loudmouth

Status: Online
Posts: 2537
Date:
Permalink  
 

Lisa was spot on, well done. 

It really makes sense when you stop and think about it. 

Thanks Jules for checking. I also thought that coat line sounded odd but had made it make sense by accepting he must have sung  'takes down' her coat,  ie from a coat hook in the hallway. Wonder why they didn't correct it or resing it?



__________________


Mondo Bongo

Status: Offline
Posts: 826
Date:
Permalink  
 

Well obviously dead chuffed to be "right" But does beg the question with literature, songs, art, is it about what it means to the artist or what the audience gets from it? Interesting ...

__________________


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

I'm with you Lisa. Songs can be interpreted very differently from their original meaning. Is that such a bad thing? Music has such an emotional attachment to us that perhaps our own interpretation might be better for us.

It is odd that they didn't re record she takes off her coat. I remember wondering how she found 50 p deep down in her pocket when she'd taken her coat off.

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1317
Date:
Permalink  
 

Agree with you 100% here. That song Labi Sifre sings So strong (Something inside) IS a great one for different reason's this was about this man's sexually. But some take it as a song for freedom

__________________


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6970
Date:
Permalink  
 

Jules wrote:

It is odd that they didn't re record she takes off her coat. I remember wondering how she found 50 p deep down in her pocket when she'd taken her coat off.


I interpreted that as taking it off the coat stand.  I mean she is inside watching Top of the Pops.  Why would she have her coat on inside and then take it off to go outside?  

That said, student digs were like that. It's so cold inside that it feels warmer when you go out.



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

Well I'm blowed. Talk about hearing what you want to hear...I've always thought he sang 'she picks up her coat'...don't think I even looked at lyric sheet I was that sure.



__________________


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

Exactly ArrGee. It didn't make sense. Suss I can see how you thought that. .

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6970
Date:
Permalink  
 

Jules wrote:

Exactly ArrGee. It didn't make sense. 


Made sense to me.   I never worry too much about the grammatical nor semantic accuracy of lyrics.  

I mean, take this example.

 

I'm an alligator, I'm a mama-papa coming for you

I'm the space invader, I'll be a rock 'n' rollin' bitch for you

Keep your mouth shut, 

you're squawking like a pink monkey bird

And I'm busting up my brains for the words

Keep your 'lectric eye on me babe

Put your ray gun to my head

Press your space face close to mine, love

Freak out in a moonage daydream oh yeah!

 

Sounds great, but fcuk knows what it's all about!



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


Loudmouth

Status: Online
Posts: 2537
Date:
Permalink  
 

ArrGee wrote:
Jules wrote:

Exactly ArrGee. It didn't make sense. 


Made sense to me.   I never worry too much about the grammatical nor semantic accuracy of lyrics.  

I mean, take this example.

 

I'm an alligator, I'm a mama-papa coming for you

I'm the space invader, I'll be a rock 'n' rollin' bitch for you

Keep your mouth shut, 

you're squawking like a pink monkey bird

And I'm busting up my brains for the words

Keep your 'lectric eye on me babe

Put your ray gun to my head

Press your space face close to mine, love

Freak out in a moonage daydream oh yeah!

 

Sounds great, but fcuk knows what it's all about!


 Indeed it does - Moonage Daydream by the late David Bowie

But no idea either what he's getting at...



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:
ArrGee wrote:
Jules wrote:

Exactly ArrGee. It didn't make sense. 


Made sense to me.   I never worry too much about the grammatical nor semantic accuracy of lyrics.  

I mean, take this example.

 

I'm an alligator, I'm a mama-papa coming for you

I'm the space invader, I'll be a rock 'n' rollin' bitch for you

Keep your mouth shut, 

you're squawking like a pink monkey bird

And I'm busting up my brains for the words

Keep your 'lectric eye on me babe

Put your ray gun to my head

Press your space face close to mine, love

Freak out in a moonage daydream oh yeah!

 

Sounds great, but fcuk knows what it's all about!


 Indeed it does - Moonage Daydream by the late David Bowie

But no idea either what he's getting at...


 Rock music is full of  c**p lyricists. Seems anyone can write anything they like, with very little care and expect their fans to swallow it(metaphorically speaking of source). Possibly the worst example is Kings of Leon. Some good tunes but when I tried to make sense of their songs the lyrics are complete b*******. Still they can sell shedloads of albums and sell out huge venues on the back of some of the most pityful examples of song lyrics. I doubt if any of the brothrs have ever read a book in their lives.

I suspect JK Rowling is a Rats fan partly helped by the great song lyrics that don't insult the intelligence.smile



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Online
Posts: 2537
Date:
Permalink  
 

I agree. In fact,  such a great songwriter is Geldof, that he not only doesn't insult your intelligence,  but adds to it. 

In Mondays, Graveyard and Banana alone,  Geldof supplemented my knowledge of events in countries other than where I lived, as well as simultaneously delivering three superb top 30 singles. 



__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard