Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: SingalongaRat


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
SingalongaRat
Permalink  
 


I really like this version of Living in an Island

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLBnt5HWILI

Just goes to show you can't ever really murder a great song

 



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

Ok, maybe not great on second listen. Do like anything a bit novel though. What other covers or versions do people rate for Rats tracks?



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2538
Date:
Permalink  
 

suss wrote:

Ok, maybe not great on second listen. Do like anything a bit novel though. What other covers or versions do people rate for Rats tracks?


 https://soundcloud.com/ky-underhill/looking-after-no-1-boomtown-rats-cover-1

Stumbled across this on Soundcloud recently, an instrumental cover version of LANO. I think it's pretty good.



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

Great find! Always hear something a little different about song structure without lyrics over the top.

Will have to see if we can make an album of these

Appreciate there's a Tori Amos IDLM, and recall some guy covered Diamond Smiles. Suppose rest will be pub bands etc. I know there was a Rat Trap posted on here sometime. 



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mary.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-ayFpR-RMU



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

She's So Modern  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt5q8fwYCX8



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

Like Clockwork. Ok, not a cover but hilarious or mad. You decide....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzMCvG4p1xI



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

Clockwork, from the so-called kings of covers. I could sing it better than this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZgNlFPTr7g



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

Rat Trap https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIRUcWNdWlY



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mondays https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1leWrSrHqw



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

Diamond Smiles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAD_Lu71Rno

Might get tricky now



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

SLAY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqfp8hV1ltE



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

Banana Republic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o8D8r1CLTQ



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1920
Date:
Permalink  
 

suss wrote:

Like Clockwork. Ok, not a cover but hilarious or mad. You decide....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzMCvG4p1xI


 What is happening. Magnificent.



__________________

https://www.facebook.com/CollectorManiac



Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2538
Date:
Permalink  
 

I've not seen the Skones version of SLAY before or the guy with the clock on his head! I've got Sky on watching people ski through the centre of New York and watching that hilarious Like Clockwork clip on my phone and Mrs L has left the room with a wtf look on her face!

Skones swapped a couple of lines here and there and managed to ignore all their fears rather than indulge them, but hey,  who cares when they're livening up an otherwise boring Sunday afternoon in Crewe? !



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:

I've not seen the Skones version of SLAY before or the guy with the clock on his head! I've got Sky on watching people ski through the centre of New York and watching that hilarious Like Clockwork clip on my phone and Mrs L has left the room with a wtf look on her face!

Skones swapped a couple of lines here and there and managed to ignore all their fears rather than indulge them, but hey,  who cares when they're livening up an otherwise boring Sunday afternoon in Crewe? !


 Not too sure about the Skones singer. Way too bland for me. Just goes to show what Geldof's voice brings to the songs.smile

This version of Fall Down is brilliant, really faithful to the original and easily one of the best Rats tributes going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5vZRLFwL4Q

Has anyone ever heard Mondays in Sweedish? Well here it is by a band called Straaplers- 'Jag Hater Mandan':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4Tv-aK5XFE



-- Edited by noelindublin on Monday 25th of January 2016 02:06:26 PM

__________________


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

suss wrote:

Like Clockwork. Ok, not a cover but hilarious or mad. You decide....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzMCvG4p1xI


 A bit of both.  biggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrin



__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

Fall Down sounds a bit like a choir. Nice voices.

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

suss wrote:

Diamond Smiles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAD_Lu71Rno

Might get tricky now


 This guy is good and does sound a bit like Bob, or at least tries to.smile



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

Jules wrote:

Fall Down sounds a bit like a choir. Nice voices.


Sorry, you lost me. Is there a Fall Down cover? Link? 



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

noelindublin wrote:
suss wrote:

Diamond Smiles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAD_Lu71Rno

Might get tricky now


 This guy is good and does sound a bit like Bob, or at least tries to.smile


Agreed. Only one I really disliked was the Top of the Poppers cover.  



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

Must admit I just stopped looking after the early singles when I drew a blank at Elephant's Graveyard. May well be later stuff and album tracks still to unearth.



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

suss wrote:
Jules wrote:

Fall Down sounds a bit like a choir. Nice voices.


Sorry, you lost me. Is there a Fall Down cover? Link? 


 Not too sure about the Skones singer. Way too bland for me. Just goes to show what Geldof's voice brings to the songs.smile

This version of Fall Down is brilliant, really faithful to the original and easily one of the best Rats tributes going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5vZRLFwL4Q( Fall Down link)

Has anyone ever heard Mondays in Sweedish? Well here it is by a band called Straaplers- 'Jag Hater Mandan':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4Tv-aK5XFE

 



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

Thanks Noel - sorry, didn't read far enough back. Will have to listen when not in office

Cheers



__________________


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

Was Top of the Poppers another K-tel. Dreadful. It actually makes you cringe.

I liked the Looking After No 1 metal version.

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

One for ArrGee to enjoy....altogether now, "I was reading in New Zealand..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieQ9q2dM2eQ



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

She's Gonna Do You In....playalongarat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEAmawKk4Ks

 



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

Nice n Neat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj7Q7tIonBk



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

suss wrote:

She's Gonna Do You In....playalongarat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEAmawKk4Ks

 


Same guitarist doing Never Bite The Hand That Feeds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5Vnqmvlt3Y - needs a second take I think 



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

This has put me off looking any further....Mondays butchered. Bob should sue...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SADKwEzY7pA



__________________


House on Fire

Status: Offline
Posts: 147
Date:
Permalink  
 

suss wrote:

Same guitarist doing Never Bite The Hand That Feeds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5Vnqmvlt3Y - needs a second take I think 


Yikes! Sounds like the guitar is tuned to a different key. Fair effort but not much talent I fear. About as good as me (not saying much).

I wonder if any of the collectors in this forum have one of these:

http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/2012/06/13/pe-1000gc-aria-pro-ii-gerry-cott-signature-guitars-are-like-buses/

Of course the true fan with have a 2007 reissue in addition to an original from the 1980s.



-- Edited by jamieuka on Tuesday 26th of January 2016 01:08:22 PM

__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2538
Date:
Permalink  
 

Lying again

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5n6WbLP5j6Y

 

 



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2538
Date:
Permalink  
 

Can't Stop

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv-dk07iDEU



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2538
Date:
Permalink  
 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c7zvOmFKU-k

 

Eva Braun



__________________


House on Fire

Status: Offline
Posts: 128
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c7zvOmFKU-k

 

Eva Braun


 Not a bad effort in my view. Certainly not disgracing my all time favourite song. Bit wayward on the outro lalalas, but I'd have enjoyed being there to hear it overall.



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2538
Date:
Permalink  
 

I thought it was good too - somewhere in America where the Rats never broke through, so it was good to see the crowd enjoy what must have been a relatively obscure album track from their point of view.



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2538
Date:
Permalink  
 

If you have Spotify, Top of the Pops album 84 is worth searching for, for comedy value alone. Not sure I can link to it.

Elephants Graveyard given the Top of the Poppers treatment



-- Edited by Mark L on Sunday 1st of May 2016 01:11:28 AM

__________________


House on Fire

Status: Offline
Posts: 147
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:

If you have Spotify, Top of the Pops album 84 is worth searching for, for comedy value alone. Not sure I can link to it.

Elephants Graveyard given the Top of the Poppers treatment


 

Thanks for the heads up.

I put the whole album on shuffle and, by the time TEG(G) came around, it didn't sound all that bad. I challenge anyone to find a better cover version of this song on the interwebs. At least the singer here didn't let the fact he only knew about half the correct lyrics put him off! Reminded me what a great song it is, especially the single mix without the dodgy death duties/death duty lyric.

Now, if you want a real laugh, I highly recommend We've Only Just Begun by The Crapenters on the same album: through my tears, I couldn't decide whether the singer was flat or the vinyl they'd lifted it from had an eccentric hole!

This link might work:

https://open.spotify.com/album/0K5W8Uy40ca3B07qmwp0aA



-- Edited by jamieuka on Thursday 9th of June 2016 11:40:52 AM



-- Edited by jamieuka on Thursday 9th of June 2016 11:41:39 AM



-- Edited by jamieuka on Thursday 9th of June 2016 11:43:02 AM

__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

jamieuka wrote:
Mark L wrote:

If you have Spotify, Top of the Pops album 84 is worth searching for, for comedy value alone. Not sure I can link to it.

Elephants Graveyard given the Top of the Poppers treatment


 

Thanks for the heads up.

I put the whole album on shuffle and, by the time TEG(G) came around, it didn't sound all that bad. I challenge anyone to find a better cover version of this song on the interwebs. At least the singer here didn't let the fact he only knew about half the correct lyrics put him off! Reminded me what a great song it is, especially the single mix without the dodgy death duties/death duty lyric.

Now, if you want a real laugh, I highly recommend We've Only Just Begun by The Crapenters on the same album: through my tears, I couldn't decide whether the singer was flat or the vinyl they'd lifted it from had an eccentric hole!

This link might work:

https://open.spotify.com/album/0K5W8Uy40ca3B07qmwp0aA



-- Edited by jamieuka on Thursday 9th of June 2016 11:40:52 AM



-- Edited by jamieuka on Thursday 9th of June 2016 11:41:39 AM



-- Edited by jamieuka on Thursday 9th of June 2016 11:43:02 AM


I like the death duties lyric. Not sure why the song had to be cut down in its prime for the single mix-unless to fit in more inane radio dj chatter.



-- Edited by noelindublin on Thursday 9th of June 2016 12:59:08 PM

__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2538
Date:
Permalink  
 

Agree with Noel, the truncated single mix sounds incomplete and I think the album track would have fared better if released uncut as the single. Still hardly long at 3:45 compared to Rat Trap's 5 mins. 



__________________


House on Fire

Status: Offline
Posts: 128
Date:
Permalink  
 

I wonder if it only sounds incomplete to us, the small minority who would actually listen intently to lyrics and variations etc. I'm not convinced most listeners would even have spotted the difference if say Radio 1 had played 7" mix and Radio 2 played the album version when it was vying for charts.

Ultimately it comes down to some kind of hook that has mass appeal in my view, be it the whole song or perhaps just chorus. Lyrics can help enormously, as can videos, past record etc etc but unless that earworm burrows in the artist is onto a loser.

I always muse about the songs that shouldn't have made it at face value, and benefit from predecessor success or fan blind loyalty, versus some (in my mind) great tracks that didn't get the exposure due to band being unknowns.

How many here would really have rushed out to get Elephant's Graveyard as a debut single? I think it's a decent track (short or long) but certainly one I only bought as a fan as opposed to admirer.

That said, the Top of the Poppers did a pretty good job on this one by comparison to their usual standards.



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2538
Date:
Permalink  
 

suss wrote:

I wonder if it only sounds incomplete to us, the small minority who would actually listen intently to lyrics and variations etc. I'm not convinced most listeners would even have spotted the difference if say Radio 1 had played 7" mix and Radio 2 played the album version when it was vying for charts.

Ultimately it comes down to some kind of hook that has mass appeal in my view, be it the whole song or perhaps just chorus. Lyrics can help enormously, as can videos, past record etc etc but unless that earworm burrows in the artist is onto a loser.

I always muse about the songs that shouldn't have made it at face value, and benefit from predecessor success or fan blind loyalty, versus some (in my mind) great tracks that didn't get the exposure due to band being unknowns.

How many here would really have rushed out to get Elephant's Graveyard as a debut single? I think it's a decent track (short or long) but certainly one I only bought as a fan as opposed to admirer.

That said, the Top of the Poppers did a pretty good job on this one by comparison to their usual standards.


 You're probably right, we might also be looking at this from the 'devoted parent' angle. Look how hard it is for anyone, these days, especially professionals, to levy any criticism of a child's behaviour. The default reaction, understandable to some extent, is to mount a vigorous defence to what is being said. Like them, it might be hard for us to be objective.

The hook theory is spot on. I always recall hearing a only snippet of Come on Eileen, the first time I heard it, with the car radio stopping when the car did, so I did not hear the DJ say what it was or who it was by. However, I then spent hours listening to Peter Powell on Radio 1 and Peter Craig on Beacon 303 (no internet to help a curious 15 year old in those days - in more ways than this wink ) until it was played in full and then I immediately dashed off to the Mander Centre to buy it. That 30 second burst in the car had me hook, line and sinker.

I think the Top of the Poppers version of Graveyard is not bad musically, with the ferocious Crowe drum rolling repeated or even varied slightly to good effect and the pianist's variation on Fingers' input coming over well. It's the lyrics that tickle me. I know some of Geldof's vocals are open to being misheard, but how did 'martial law' become 'martial arts' and 'you see the church and then you check the children' is probably good social worker advice given what a lot of priests were up to, but surely this could have been checked in one of the numerous lyrics mags that were sold at the time and didn't the Mondo Bongo inner sleeve have them printed there? Definitely better than some of the offerings from the Poppers though!



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:

Agree with Noel, the truncated single mix sounds incomplete and I think the album track would have fared better if released uncut as the single. Still hardly long at 3:45 compared to Rat Trap's 5 mins. 


 I don't think the long version   would have made any difference in terms of chart position. It's just having to cram something in at around three minutes always seems like a compromise, and the extra verse sketches out more detail about the retirees looking for some peace and quiet in their final days in Florida and the equally unlucky Cuban immigrants caught up in the Miami race riots of 1981. The Rats larking around on the beach video  for the song didn't help either- it's totally at odds with the subject matter of the song and for me is one of their worst videos. Any casual viewer would be pretty confused about this song and who could blame them?

This is one of the Rats finest songs- that opening piano motif always gets me. It's a political song but one more of astute observation rather than being preachy and partisan, which most politial songs tend to be. With Banana Republic, EG, and Another Piece of Red Mondo Bongo was the Rats only real 'political' album though the songs largely Geldof watching the changing landscape rather than having a bee in his bonnet about any  particular issue. I'm generally not a fan of polital songs-ala Billy Bragg etc they just seem to be preaching to the converted.



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

suss wrote:

I wonder if it only sounds incomplete to us, the small minority who would actually listen intently to lyrics and variations etc. I'm not convinced most listeners would even have spotted the difference if say Radio 1 had played 7" mix and Radio 2 played the album version when it was vying for charts.

Ultimately it comes down to some kind of hook that has mass appeal in my view, be it the whole song or perhaps just chorus. Lyrics can help enormously, as can videos, past record etc etc but unless that earworm burrows in the artist is onto a loser.

I always muse about the songs that shouldn't have made it at face value, and benefit from predecessor success or fan blind loyalty, versus some (in my mind) great tracks that didn't get the exposure due to band being unknowns.

How many here would really have rushed out to get Elephant's Graveyard as a debut single? I think it's a decent track (short or long) but certainly one I only bought as a fan as opposed to admirer.

That said, the Top of the Poppers did a pretty good job on this one by comparison to their usual standards.


 I think I might actually prefer EG to Looking After No 1. Maybe it's maturity but LAN lyrics seem a bit suspect now. Just spoiled brat selfish self interest, obsession with fame and money (sounds very fimiliar today), couldn't give a damn about society. It's a great tune and I like the lines about 'I'm gonna be like me' but I always have difficulty with the rest of the lyrics of this song. Does the world really owe anyone a living?

Sounds like an anthem to selfishness and mamon. Paradoxically, musically it's great, and Geldof has gone  on about his bad day in the dole queue in Dun Laoghaire .



__________________


The Elephant's Graveyard

Status: Offline
Posts: 80
Date:
Permalink  
 

noelindublin wrote:

 


 I think I might actually prefer EG to Looking After No 1. Maybe it's maturity but LAN lyrics seem a bit suspect now. Just spoiled brat selfish self interest, obsession with fame and money (sounds very fimiliar today), couldn't give a damn about society. It's a great tune and I like the lines about 'I'm gonna be like me' but I always have difficulty with the rest of the lyrics of this song. Does the world really owe anyone a living?

Sounds like an anthem to selfishness and mamon. Paradoxically, musically it's great, and Geldof has gone  on about his bad day in the dole queue in Dun Laoghaire .


I've always assumed Geldof was being ironic, in much the same way as he later did with the Great Song of Indifference. That he was actually attacking the 'world owes me a living' viewpoint. I'd be very surprised if he'd use the line about stepping on his mothers grave otherwise given her early death.



__________________
salutiamo gli amici, il vecchio Bob e le ragazze, sollevando il bicchiere dell' addio


House on Fire

Status: Offline
Posts: 128
Date:
Permalink  
 

Problem is he has always and continues to trot out the line about him standing in the dole queue, writing lyrics on a receipt, deeply resenting the arrogant clerks sitting in the dry keeping doors shut etc etc, which if true tends to blow that theory. Guess it's possibly been embellished as a story down the years though.

My thinking is he probably was still young enough to feel rebellious, but smart enough to sense the opportunity with advent of punk attitude. I'm not convinced anyone of the generation would have been cynical enough to write with genuine irony on what was being said by peers, but you raise a very interesting argument. Given that Rats were middle class (like many 'punks' as it later transpired) was he really cute enough to take the mick out of his peers and to some extent himself? Seems unlikely to me but plausible. I'm more convinced by the get famous, get rich quote etc, which lends itself to argument he really was using the moment to his own end and looking after number one.

Also interesting reference to the line about his mother. He was oft quoted about not seeing eye to eye with his father at that time, but years later realising he was a great father, so I'm again prepared to believe in 75/76 he really was being provocative and rebellious. Sounds harsh but she wasn't there to be upset by her son singing that, and he probably did feel a little hard done by about his upbringing.

The only thing that keeps nagging at me is that, whatever Smash Hits claimed, he and band were already in mid twenties by then and as they say, old enough to know better. That, and the intelligence of the man, makes me wonder just how sincere and heartfelt the lyrics really were. Certainly flies in face of Band Aid Bob.                            

Wonder when he was actually (allegedly) standing in that dole queue and wrote it....

 

 



__________________


Mondo Bongo

Status: Offline
Posts: 826
Date:
Permalink  
 

I always loved the lyrics of Rats songs - but not sure whether at the time I thought they were writing about genuine experiences or not ... I guess most of us loved anything slightly anti-establishment but also am guessing most of us had a reasonably comfortable lifestyle and didn't really have much to grumble about. I just found the lyrics exciting and the more provocative the better. As an adult who has worked as a "clerk" for many years barely getting more than the minimum wage, I think I have more sympathy with them now actually! As someone who had a short-lived student life, but managed to spend a couple of weeks hitch-hiking around the country, and then return to base to claim housing benefit, again probably didn't have much to grumble about either

__________________


House on Fire

Status: Offline
Posts: 147
Date:
Permalink  
 

No doubt some great moments e.g. I love the rhythm/syncopation of the lines:

> the peace and quiet | The healthy air and the healthy diet | The sea's so calm but the street's a riot

But the "taken years off you life" bit just doesn't scan at all well. If this were a book I'd be blaming the editor for not wielding the red pen... Can't help thinking Mutt Lange would have made this one a monster hit.



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2538
Date:
Permalink  
 

Agree here. Great lines rhyming tension, pension and mention and justice isn't blind, it just looks the other way but some sloppy lines here and there. 26 was unrepresentative of how good a song this was though and no invitation by TOTP for 2 high flying weeks was wrong. If the Rats were invited, by 1981 only one answer should have come back. Or the video played if a studio performance was impossible. 



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2538
Date:
Permalink  
 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hBV469SDsSY

The Toy Dolls do She's So Modern. Well.



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2538
Date:
Permalink  
 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iE-241gauDk

The Sighting do 'I don't like Mondays', very well in parts.



__________________


Mondo Bongo

Status: Offline
Posts: 826
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:

Agree here. Great lines rhyming tension, pension and mention and justice isn't blind, it just looks the other way but some sloppy lines here and there. 26 was unrepresentative of how good a song this was though and no invitation by TOTP for 2 high flying weeks was wrong. If the Rats were invited, by 1981 only one answer should have come back. Or the video played if a studio performance was impossible. 


 I've always loved the line "justice isn't blind, it just looks the other way".  Wish I had the ability to convey so much in so few words sometimes!  Really clever lyrics.



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2538
Date:
Permalink  
 

Lisa wrote:
Mark L wrote:

Agree here. Great lines rhyming tension, pension and mention and justice isn't blind, it just looks the other way but some sloppy lines here and there. 26 was unrepresentative of how good a song this was though and no invitation by TOTP for 2 high flying weeks was wrong. If the Rats were invited, by 1981 only one answer should have come back. Or the video played if a studio performance was impossible. 


 I've always loved the line "justice isn't blind, it just looks the other way".  Wish I had the ability to convey so much in so few words sometimes!  Really clever lyrics.


 Very well put 



__________________


V Deep

Status: Offline
Posts: 905
Date:
Permalink  
 

For me it's not for want of trying I have nothing left to say ( sos couldn't resist this pun)

__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2538
Date:
Permalink  
 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BsvY4RwgyuY

Not sure who this lot are doing Rat Trap at Knebworth in '78?



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2538
Date:
Permalink  
 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LxVLOgcU4y4

Seems like an east European 'Stars in their eyes' show, with scenery and mannerisms imitated reasonably well.

I'm sure about 12 years ago, UK show featured Bob.



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LxVLOgcU4y4

Seems like an east European 'Stars in their eyes' show, with scenery and mannerisms imitated reasonably well.

I'm sure about 12 years ago, UK show featured Bob.


 File under 'friggin' weird'.smile



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1317
Date:
Permalink  
 

noelindublin wrote:
Mark L wrote:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LxVLOgcU4y4

Seems like an east European 'Stars in their eyes' show, with scenery and mannerisms imitated reasonably well.

I'm sure about 12 years ago, UK show featured Bob.


 File under 'friggin' weird'.smile


 My god .That's bad. Even Geldof on a bad wouldn't kill the song like this. Funny looking Rats by the way



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2538
Date:
Permalink  
 

Yes but the Poles love it judging by the views and comments. Over 4000 in just a few days.



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2538
Date:
Permalink  
 

Now up to 16,000 views. 



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:

Now up to 16,000 views. 


 Great photo of Bob, Simon (with acoustic guitar) Pete and Gary in the studio working on new album.That's on the Boomtown Rats FB page.Wouldn't mind being a fly on the wall for that Rats singalong.smile

The studio photos on  FB indicate a very intimate studio with the band all working close together.  Possible Simon writing credits too if he's got his acoustic guitar. Just wish the wait wasn't so long and 'drip drip'.

Re Mondays it was possibly a case of the song being bigger than the band if that makes sense-that's why its so popular. Probably many like the song but may not be overly keen on the rest of the Rats music.



__________________


Never In A Million Years

Status: Offline
Posts: 92
Date:
Permalink  
 

The band have always been bigger than mondays !!!

 



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2538
Date:
Permalink  
 

Back to the topic, here's one I found by Chixdiggit, doing Don't Believe What You Read, from Tonic.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xCOW2vqIbFw

There seems to be something out there called Chronic for the Troops that they did. This may not therefore be the only entry from them under SingalongaRat



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2538
Date:
Permalink  
 

Soundcloud host SLAY also from Chronic

https://soundcloud.com/*******138-2/someones-looking-at-you

Stupid username, hence the asterisk Police swoop



-- Edited by Mark L on Saturday 13th of May 2017 12:22:19 AM

__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2538
Date:
Permalink  
 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hs_v92201Q0

Where it should be biggrin



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2538
Date:
Permalink  
 

Another lovely cover of Diamond Smiles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AreLQpd0q8k



__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard