Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: Thames Confrontation - saving some fish(ermen) ?


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2533
Date:
Thames Confrontation - saving some fish(ermen) ?
Permalink  
 


http://www.nme.com/news/bob-geldof/94234 

The Express also shows 'I'm in with the in crowd' being played but also says some Boomtown Rats music was played. Pete Briquette is als photographed on the In boat.

The 'comments' sections are littered with anti-Geldof sentiment and the usual nonsense about the Rats only having had one silly song etc etc. I have corrected this.

Made the lunchtime news on TV too. 



__________________


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

The Kippers are put in force on the bg page on fb. Banning left right and centre.

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1920
Date:
Permalink  
 

Watched his boat chasing Nige round in circles from our offices window in Westminster. Quality entertainment, didn't here any Rats, though, just The In Crowd on repeat!

__________________

https://www.facebook.com/CollectorManiac



Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

Was watching this and very amused. A bit like the Spanish Armada, or when the Dutch navy sailed up the medway in the 1700s(not really!) Bob is back to 'saving some fish ' again, though the contrarian in me thinks Britain should leave.I don't have a vote so my opinion doesn't matter much.



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2533
Date:
Permalink  
 

noelindublin wrote:

Was watching this and very amused. A bit like the Spanish Armada, or when the Dutch navy sailed up the medway in the 1700s(not really!) Bob is back to 'saving some fish ' again, though the contrarian in me thinks Britain should leave.I don't have a vote so my opinion doesn't matter much.


 If the United Kingdom of Great Britain  (Wales, England and Scotland) and Northern Ireland leaves the EU,  assume we have an EU land border then with an EU country  (Republic of Ireland) for the first time?confuse



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2533
Date:
Permalink  
 

Bob on Question Time tomorrow BBC1 at 10.45 pm.



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

Tango wrote:

Watched his boat chasing Nige round in circles from our offices window in Westminster. Quality entertainment, didn't here any Rats, though, just The In Crowd on repeat!


 Came across more as millionaire on huge boat with loudhailer giving the v sign to anyone who had a different view. Probably goes down as an 'own goal' and more likely to bring out the 'out' vote. Looks a bit like the Henley Regatta with Bob and co.

Guardian front page - 16/06/16



-- Edited by noelindublin on Thursday 16th of June 2016 12:07:55 PM

__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:
noelindublin wrote:

Was watching this and very amused. A bit like the Spanish Armada, or when the Dutch navy sailed up the medway in the 1700s(not really!) Bob is back to 'saving some fish ' again, though the contrarian in me thinks Britain should leave.I don't have a vote so my opinion doesn't matter much.


 If the United Kingdom of Great Britain  (Wales, England and Scotland) and Northern Ireland leaves the EU,  assume we have an EU land border then with an EU country  (Republic of Ireland) for the first time?confuse


Well if it happens I imagine it will be fairly lightly policed and unobtrusive, only dealing with serious issues like people smuggling. The border during the 'troubles' was always pretty grim but can't see anyone going back to that sort of set up.



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2533
Date:
Permalink  
 

This is typical of the general reaction to the flotilla frolics

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BdjCbKLf4Fs

 



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:

This is typical of the general reaction to the flotilla frolics

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BdjCbKLf4Fs

 


 Not sure if that was meant to be a spoof there for a while.smile I find in politics in general people have entrenched views, that are not readily amenable to change. Though I worry for that guy in the video a little.Getting het up about anything in that way is not good for the heart or blood pressure. Still we live in an amazing age when one can make a video rant in reply to an event that may have happened just a few  hours ago , and have it seen all around the world. Beats writing to the editor and wondering why your letter never gets a reply.smile



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:

This is typical of the general reaction to the flotilla frolics

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BdjCbKLf4Fs

 


 just read down through about fifty comments on the Geldof Flotilla affair on the Sky News channel. I don't think any of them had a good word to say about Geldof and if that's any indication of his efforts to help the remain campaign then it was an own goal.  In fact there is serious vitriol out there against Geldof and most likely will emerge again after Question Time.One guy says he's gonna bin his copy of the Rats 'rather fine Fine Art of Surfacing' in protest.smile



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1317
Date:
Permalink  
 

noelindublin wrote:
Mark L wrote:

This is typical of the general reaction to the flotilla frolics

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BdjCbKLf4Fs

 


 just read down through about fifty comments on the Geldof Flotilla affair on the Sky News channel. I don't think any of them had a good word to say about Geldof and if that's any indication of his efforts to help the remain campaign then it was an own goal.  In fact there is serious vitriol out there against Geldof and most likely will emerge again after Question Time.One guy says he's gonna bin his copy of the Rats 'rather fine Fine Art of Surfacing' in protest.smile


 This Guy giving off. Does use the Queen's English very well. I wordier he's been on one of them dole show's? You know the type. Them arm chair fu?k wit's who put the world to right on there ass's He went to far when he said about Geldof's girl. The woman's dead she should be left to RIP



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2533
Date:
Permalink  
 

manatthetop wrote:
noelindublin wrote:
Mark L wrote:

This is typical of the general reaction to the flotilla frolics

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BdjCbKLf4Fs

 


 just read down through about fifty comments on the Geldof Flotilla affair on the Sky News channel. I don't think any of them had a good word to say about Geldof and if that's any indication of his efforts to help the remain campaign then it was an own goal.  In fact there is serious vitriol out there against Geldof and most likely will emerge again after Question Time.One guy says he's gonna bin his copy of the Rats 'rather fine Fine Art of Surfacing' in protest.smile


 This Guy giving off. Does use the Queen's English very well. I wordier he's been on one of them dole show's? You know the type. Them arm chair fu?k wit's who put the world to right on there ass's He went to far when he said about Geldof's girl. The woman's dead she should be left to RIP


 I agree, got the location wrong too saying it happened in a hotel. 



__________________


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

We've had comments like that in the hundreds on the FB page. Just hateful and disgusting.

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2533
Date:
Permalink  
 

It is absolutely astonishing how evil some people can be in these circumstances.



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2533
Date:
Permalink  
 

noelindublin wrote:
Mark L wrote:
noelindublin wrote:

Was watching this and very amused. A bit like the Spanish Armada, or when the Dutch navy sailed up the medway in the 1700s(not really!) Bob is back to 'saving some fish ' again, though the contrarian in me thinks Britain should leave.I don't have a vote so my opinion doesn't matter much.


 If the United Kingdom of Great Britain  (Wales, England and Scotland) and Northern Ireland leaves the EU,  assume we have an EU land border then with an EU country  (Republic of Ireland) for the first time?confuse


Well if it happens I imagine it will be fairly lightly policed and unobtrusive, only dealing with serious issues like people smuggling. The border during the 'troubles' was always pretty grim but can't see anyone going back to that sort of set up.


 It's happened. Let's hope you're right! Scotland and Northern Ireland have voted differently to England and Wales. In the end, the border may be drawn at Gretna with Scotland and Ireland, European countries. A divided nation?



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:
noelindublin wrote:
Mark L wrote:
noelindublin wrote:

Was watching this and very amused. A bit like the Spanish Armada, or when the Dutch navy sailed up the medway in the 1700s(not really!) Bob is back to 'saving some fish ' again, though the contrarian in me thinks Britain should leave.I don't have a vote so my opinion doesn't matter much.


 If the United Kingdom of Great Britain  (Wales, England and Scotland) and Northern Ireland leaves the EU,  assume we have an EU land border then with an EU country  (Republic of Ireland) for the first time?confuse


Well if it happens I imagine it will be fairly lightly policed and unobtrusive, only dealing with serious issues like people smuggling. The border during the 'troubles' was always pretty grim but can't see anyone going back to that sort of set up.


 It's happened. Let's hope you're right! Scotland and Northern Ireland have voted differently to England and Wales. In the end, the border may be drawn at Gretna with Scotland and Ireland, European countries. A divided nation?


Pragmatism will win out in regard to borders. Should be interesting if Scotland decides to have another independence referendum.



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1317
Date:
Permalink  
 

noelindublin wrote:
Mark L wrote:
noelindublin wrote:
Mark L wrote:
noelindublin wrote:

Was watching this and very amused. A bit like the Spanish Armada, or when the Dutch navy sailed up the medway in the 1700s(not really!) Bob is back to 'saving some fish ' again, though the contrarian in me thinks Britain should leave.I don't have a vote so my opinion doesn't matter much.


 If the United Kingdom of Great Britain  (Wales, England and Scotland) and Northern Ireland leaves the EU,  assume we have an EU land border then with an EU country  (Republic of Ireland) for the first time?confuse


Well if it happens I imagine it will be fairly lightly policed and unobtrusive, only dealing with serious issues like people smuggling. The border during the 'troubles' was always pretty grim but can't see anyone going back to that sort of set up.


 It's happened. Let's hope you're right! Scotland and Northern Ireland have voted differently to England and Wales. In the end, the border may be drawn at Gretna with Scotland and Ireland, European countries. A divided nation?


Pragmatism will win out in regard to borders. Should be interesting if Scotland decides to have another independence referendum.


 Hopefully they do. Let English men fight English wars. England alone voted for this So it did not matter that the north of Ireland & Scotland's vote to stay in. This is going back word's not forward's. The world has moved on  and so should we. This is 2016, the only one's that will be hurt by this are the one's coming up behind us.  Not the 60/70 plus years old who will be well pushing up the daisy's



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2533
Date:
Permalink  
 

manatthetop wrote:
noelindublin wrote:
Mark L wrote:
noelindublin wrote:
Mark L wrote:
noelindublin wrote:

Was watching this and very amused. A bit like the Spanish Armada, or when the Dutch navy sailed up the medway in the 1700s(not really!) Bob is back to 'saving some fish ' again, though the contrarian in me thinks Britain should leave.I don't have a vote so my opinion doesn't matter much.


 If the United Kingdom of Great Britain  (Wales, England and Scotland) and Northern Ireland leaves the EU,  assume we have an EU land border then with an EU country  (Republic of Ireland) for the first time?confuse


Well if it happens I imagine it will be fairly lightly policed and unobtrusive, only dealing with serious issues like people smuggling. The border during the 'troubles' was always pretty grim but can't see anyone going back to that sort of set up.


 It's happened. Let's hope you're right! Scotland and Northern Ireland have voted differently to England and Wales. In the end, the border may be drawn at Gretna with Scotland and Ireland, European countries. A divided nation?


Pragmatism will win out in regard to borders. Should be interesting if Scotland decides to have another independence referendum.


 Hopefully they do. Let English men fight English wars. England alone voted for this So it did not matter that the north of Ireland & Scotland's vote to stay in. This is going back word's not forward's. The world has moved on  and so should we. This is 2016, the only one's that will be hurt by this are the one's coming up behind us.  Not the 60/70 plus years old who will be well pushing up the daisy's


 I suppose another argument is if we had not voted Out, we would have indeed really hurt the ones coming up behind us! Unable to get school places, GP appointments, houses and decently paid jobs. All caused by mass unrestrained and uncontrolled immigration, not knowing either who the heck is coming in.

I worry about the economy going forward but I really felt strongly about unelected and unaccountable busybodies in Brussels taking and having more and more control over our affairs at great cost to us.

 

I note over 40% of northern Irish voters felt similar and just a bit surprised it was not nearer Wales and England's 50%+ who wanted out.

 

We have friends and relatives all over the UK and we all hope we are not going the same way as Yugoslavia and become fractious and divided with all the misery and death that involved.

 



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1317
Date:
Permalink  
 

Yeah. But 56% wanted to stay in. Same with Scotland 61% want to stay in. The GB in my opinion is no longer needed in this day and age. Let England be England Ireland be Ireland & Scotland be Scotland. What's so wrong in that?



__________________


Mondo Bongo

Status: Offline
Posts: 826
Date:
Permalink  
 

Totally depressing - might as well all throw ourselves in the Thames!

__________________


Mondo Bongo

Status: Offline
Posts: 826
Date:
Permalink  
 

Maybe we should all just go and live in individual sheds or caves, and not mix or communicate with anybody ...

__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2533
Date:
Permalink  
 

manatthetop wrote:

Yeah. But 56% wanted to stay in. Same with Scotland 61% want to stay in. The GB in my opinion is no longer needed in this day and age. Let England be England Ireland be Ireland & Scotland be Scotland.What's so wrong in that?

 

I would argue a United Kingdom is best though. The UK is a major and founding member of NATO: its a nuclear power. Yet all of its submarine-based nuclear stock is based in Scotland, at a base near Glasgow. Moving it as an independent, anti-nuclear Scottish government would insist on would take years and billions of pounds to execute. And this at a time when NATO is seeking more commitment, more defence spending from its members to counter the growing threat from Russia. Scotland has a large financial sector, even after the near-collapse of the Royal Bank of Scotland, still one of the worlds banking giants. The turbulence and uncertainty which independence would cause would prompt several big banks and financial institutions to relocate to England: and foreign-owned businesses would also take precautionary measures. It wouldnt be the end of the world but it would mean that the UK, currently growing more strongly than any other European state but still bruised from recession, would be badly affected. Do we fight terrorism better as divided nation?  Then what about the damage to civility and common culture? The last two referendups have raised tensions enough. When would this die down?

Yet if this is what the nations vote for, then that's fine, democracy in action. Remember though any party can fight an election on rejoining the EU, rejoining the UK etc and that too would be democracy.....the result just has to be respected each time and the useless petition now at 5 million for having another EU referendum is a waste of time. 

I suspect if we do leave the EU, and the referendum result is advisory only and still needs to clear a pro Europe UK Parliament, it won't be long before we go back in on a democratic General Election result. At least we will probably negotiate better re-entry terms than the terms we are on as we leave. Otherwise there will have been little point to last Thursday.

I was so personally split on this, though, I won't lose much sleep either way.

Wonder what Bob thinks about independence referendums for Scotland, Wales and Ireland? Think he has said before he thinks nationalism is a dangerous thing but patriotism is fine. 

 

 



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2533
Date:
Permalink  
 

Lisa wrote:

Maybe we should all just go and live in individual sheds or caves, and not mix or communicate with anybody ...


 Let's have a referendum on it!



__________________


Mondo Bongo

Status: Offline
Posts: 826
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:
Lisa wrote:

Maybe we should all just go and live in individual sheds or caves, and not mix or communicate with anybody ...


 Let's have a referendum on it!


 Not sure anybody can stomach another one!  After listening to somebody on Radio 4 yesterday saying he wanted to Remain, but voted out because he just didn't want to support Cameron, I mean what's the point in anything?!!  Personally am favouring just jumping in the Thames and not really sure why I feel like this as am not usually a political person in any way, but I just feel so so depressed ...



__________________


V Deep

Status: Offline
Posts: 909
Date:
Permalink  
 

And another piece of red left my atlas today..............


__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2533
Date:
Permalink  
 

Lisa wrote:
Mark L wrote:
Lisa wrote:

Maybe we should all just go and live in individual sheds or caves, and not mix or communicate with anybody ...


 Let's have a referendum on it!


 Not sure anybody can stomach another one!  After listening to somebody on Radio 4 yesterday saying he wanted to Remain, but voted out because he just didn't want to support Cameron, I mean what's the point in anything?!!  Personally am favouring just jumping in the Thames and not really sure why I feel like this as am not usually a political person in any way, but I just feel so so depressed ...


 I feel insecure more than anything, because everything seems to have become unstable. I thought a short period of this was inevitable so am not too worried about it but Cameron said he would stay even if he lost the referendum and I never expected the Labour Party to be in such turmoil. Good grief, Jeremy Corbyn has been leader less than a year, what are they thinking of?

I think the EU have been hacked off, so they're calling for Article 50 to be invoked by Tuesday. At least Angela Merkel said there's no need for any of this to become unpleasant. That's easier said than done, though, as anyone who's ever been through a separation will know. 

As regards the Radio 4 listener's comments, that is the danger with referendums. Some will vote according to the rubbish collections, benefit cuts, banker bonuses, who has the nicest smile, you name it.

Perhaps it was always too big a thing to have entrusted to us?



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1317
Date:
Permalink  
 

I wish England well in what ever form it take's. Just a pity it has to take us down with it. We should be able to make up our own minds,  not have them made up for us. Regarding Geldof's back ground you need to look into that might find something you might not no about our wee bobby boomtown. I like him and the Rats for one thing only. Apart from that Geldof can go and jump



__________________


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:
Lisa wrote:
Mark L wrote:
Lisa wrote:

Maybe we should all just go and live in individual sheds or caves, and not mix or communicate with anybody ...


 Let's have a referendum on it!


 Not sure anybody can stomach another one!  After listening to somebody on Radio 4 yesterday saying he wanted to Remain, but voted out because he just didn't want to support Cameron, I mean what's the point in anything?!!  Personally am favouring just jumping in the Thames and not really sure why I feel like this as am not usually a political person in any way, but I just feel so so depressed ...


 I feel insecure more than anything, because everything seems to have become unstable. I thought a short period of this was inevitable so am not too worried about it but Cameron said he would stay even if he lost the referendum and I never expected the Labour Party to be in such turmoil. Good grief, Jeremy Corbyn has been leader less than a year, what are they thinking of?

I think the EU have been hacked off, so they're calling for Article 50 to be invoked by Tuesday. At least Angela Merkel said there's no need for any of this to become unpleasant. That's easier said than done, though, as anyone who's ever been through a separation will know. 

As regards the Radio 4 listener's comments, that is the danger with referendums. Some will vote according to the rubbish collections, benefit cuts, banker bonuses, who has the nicest smile, you name it.

Perhaps it was always too big a thing to have entrusted to us?


 The coup against Jeremy Corbyn has been in the planning for months.  It's opportunistic.  I'm a party member and will be voting for him in any Leadership elections.  They need to pull together, not fall apart.  The Tories are also in a state.  Politics is falling apart.  I wish we didn't have this referendum it has caused an untold amount of damage around the country.



__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

manatthetop wrote:

Yeah. But 56% wanted to stay in. Same with Scotland 61% want to stay in. The GB in my opinion is no longer needed in this day and age. Let England be England Ireland be Ireland & Scotland be Scotland. What's so wrong in that?


 draftedit



-- Edited by noelindublin on Monday 27th of June 2016 12:30:20 PM

__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1317
Date:
Permalink  
 

It's been on the news that over 3000 people in the north have put in for an Irish pass port from last Thursday. That say's it all



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1317
Date:
Permalink  
 

Where have all the vote out leader's fu?ked of to? They have left England in the ****. Because they did not think they would win, and now they do not know how to handle this mess? Fu?k wit's



__________________


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

So many regretting their decision.

The main problem is there was no plan to say what would happen if we voted out. Now everyone is scared. I voted in, but wouldn't have been desperately unhappy to be out with a good solid plan. Everything has gone crazy and we are now living in such uncertainty.

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2533
Date:
Permalink  
 

The lack of an after-plan is a major issue of modern Government in relation to this, Iraq and other matters. However I think if the referendum was re-run, Leave would still win. Many Remain voters say they would have voted Leave if they had known victory was possible so that works two ways.

Cameron said he would stay if Leave won and would trigger Article 50 immediately. He has done neither and is responsible for a lot of the uncertainty that results. Labour decided not to be outdone, they would have a strange internal row over their democratically elected leader and so it all feels very unstable.

Plague on all their houses!



__________________


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

I think a re run would be futile, whichever way it went, personally and am not campaigning for it. It just sounds like roll the dice, best of three...

I just want plans and reassurances now. Rather late, but better late than never.

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1317
Date:
Permalink  
 

Sinking ship spring's to mind. But doe's the captain not stay on a sinking ship? Last man of and all that sh?t  



__________________


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

No he just legs it and let's everyone else sort out his dirty work.

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1317
Date:
Permalink  
 

Jules wrote:

No he just legs it and let's everyone else sort out his dirty work.


 That's what I mean. John Lennon's Mind Games springs to mind 



__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard