Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: Gigs of 2016


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6932
Date:
Gigs of 2016
Permalink  
 


A few less this year, and for the first time in many a year, no Rats nor Geldof

  1. The Damned - Royal Albert Hall - The 40th anniversary with a reverse chrological set viewed at close quarters in the choir, felt like been in the band looking at the audience going wild
  2. Elvis Costello - Palladium - Intimate solo show where Costello provided insight into his music and family.  
  3. Squeeze - Olso - Tiny club in Hackney with Squeeze doing more or less a greatest hits set ahead of Glastonbury
  4. Stranglers - Brixton - Playing Black and White in its entirety followed by all the classics
  5. Kula Shaker - Wilton's Music Hall - Incredible venue with small homely bar and the feel of a parish hall decorated for yuletide inside with Kula shaker pretty much playing K and a smattering of other lesser hits
  6. Catfish & The Bottlemen - Electric Ballroom - Fantastic band, fantastic show, but I did feel like I was the taxi driver for the grand kids!
  7. Wilko Johnson - Kentish Town Forum - Still great to hear the Feelgood classics, but the audience was at the other end of the spectrum from Catfish with little or nor enthusiasm, with me feeling like my parents friends had gatecrashed the gig.
  8. Elvis Costello - Roundhouse - Oddly short and lacklustre show from Elvis Costello ahead of some festival appearances.  The spinning songbook was sadly missed.
  9. Bluetones - Roundhouse - Very disappointing.  As bland as I have ever seen, and Mark Morriss's comments about the audience led me to walk out.  If he wants enthusiasm from the audience they need to do a bit of entertaining.


__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1920
Date:
Permalink  
 

Too many to list without boring everyone witless, but I did go to the Wilko Forum gig and definitely agree about the crowd. They were so unenthusiastic and the venue's so big for 3 blokes on stage it was a bit soulless, even though the 3 of them are fantastic musicians. Was glad to see Norman Watt Roy doing his magnificent thing with the Blockheads instead last week, much more fun. Maybe when the strange crowd showing up to marvel at how not dead Wilko is they'll get better venue-crowd combos.
 
Did see two of the best gigs I've ever seen this year. They Might Be Giants at the Electric Ballroom was incredible, you can tell they've been touring constantly forever, tight as you like but with such a massive repertoir that it was full of surprises. And FUN! Seems to be an underrated quality in a live band but I've never seen a music crowd laugh and smile so much. Also The Ex at Cafe Oto was fairly mind-blowing. They don't sound like anyone else and explaining what they sound like would be futile but if it wasn't for the Wilko gig the following night I would've followed them to Manchester to do it all again. Bonkers and brilliant.
 
Saw the Membranes more than any other band this year - the nicest blokes in punk and they make a great noise. Seeing them at Brixton Academy (supporting Killing Joke) was a pleasant change from tiny venues, their sound was made to fill big spaces but will probably always be too weird for that outside of support slots
 
Ruts, Damned, Clarkey&Cornwell, Peter Hook and Jherek Bischoff all worthy of honorable mentions.


__________________

https://www.facebook.com/CollectorManiac



In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1920
Date:
Permalink  
 

Note to self: see more women in 2017...

__________________

https://www.facebook.com/CollectorManiac



Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6932
Date:
Permalink  
 

Tango wrote:
Maybe when the strange crowd showing up to marvel at how not dead Wilko is they'll get better venue-crowd combos.

The irony here is that when poor Wilko's demise was imminent he played two nights at Koko which were very lively.  But now he is in remission, everyone just stands around.



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6932
Date:
Permalink  
 

Tango wrote:

Note to self: see more women in 2017...


 Squeeze have a female bass player and Elvis Costello was ably accompanied by Larkin Poe at the Palladium, so 2016 not entirely blokey for me.

In 2017 I have The Dears with a female keyboardist/co-singer and Adele at Wembley (mainly to have a Saturday night out with Mrs. ArrGee).  Would have see The Pretenders but tickets are too expensive.  And if Arcade Fire do some dates, they have Régine Chassagne who plays pretty much every instrument under the sun and co-writes all the songs, along with providing lead vocals on quite a few. Julian Cope is the one male only gig I have coming up.



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


A Hold of Me

Status: Offline
Posts: 580
Date:
Permalink  
 

2016 was short on concerts for me.

1) Moya Brennan
2) ELO
3) Bryan Adams
4) Bruce Springsteen
5) Hattie Webb
6) 80's REWIND included Marc Almond, Rick Astley, Tony Hadley, Snap (yes I know they were from the 90's!), Hazel Dean, Leo Sayer. Others I can't remember cos I was in a heap with bronchitis!
7) Imelda May at the Southern Fried Festival, Perth
8) Nick Lowe, and two other ****s whose names are failing me now at the Southern Fried Festival. Nick Lowe was great.
9) Boomtown Rats
10) Sharon Robinson
11) Martin Hayes

That is in order of attendance, not of preference. In these days of lean finances all concerts have to be great!

2017 I have The Rats, Imelda May, and Adele. I was going to book Phil Collins until I saw the outrageous cost of entry, and decided he can take a hike. The gig is getting heavy advertisement airplay so I'd say a lot of people are thinking the same as me.

__________________
Regards, Musicmania... “To stop the flow of music would be like the stopping of time itself, incredible and inconceivable.” Aaron Copland.


A Hold of Me

Status: Offline
Posts: 580
Date:
Permalink  
 

Oh and shame on me for forgetting but I am also going to The Gloaming in 2017, and profanity filter doesn't like the word t w a t s!

__________________
Regards, Musicmania... “To stop the flow of music would be like the stopping of time itself, incredible and inconceivable.” Aaron Copland.


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6932
Date:
Permalink  
 

ArrGee wrote:
Tango wrote:

Note to self: see more women in 2017...


 Squeeze have a female bass player and Elvis Costello was ably accompanied by Larkin Poe at the Palladium, so 2016 not entirely blokey for me.

In 2017 I have The Dears with a female keyboardist/co-singer and Adele at Wembley (mainly to have a Saturday night out with Mrs. ArrGee).  Would have see The Pretenders but tickets are too expensive.  And if Arcade Fire do some dates, they have Régine Chassagne who plays pretty much every instrument under the sun and co-writes all the songs, along with providing lead vocals on quite a few. Julian Cope is the one male only gig I have coming up.


I have now booked the most blokey gig possible namely Richard Hawley and Paul Weller at Union Chapel in February.   How Dad Rock is that?

 



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1920
Date:
Permalink  
 

ArrGee wrote:
ArrGee wrote:
Tango wrote:

Note to self: see more women in 2017...


 Squeeze have a female bass player and Elvis Costello was ably accompanied by Larkin Poe at the Palladium, so 2016 not entirely blokey for me.

In 2017 I have The Dears with a female keyboardist/co-singer and Adele at Wembley (mainly to have a Saturday night out with Mrs. ArrGee).  Would have see The Pretenders but tickets are too expensive.  And if Arcade Fire do some dates, they have Régine Chassagne who plays pretty much every instrument under the sun and co-writes all the songs, along with providing lead vocals on quite a few. Julian Cope is the one male only gig I have coming up.


I have now booked the most blokey gig possible namely Richard Hawley and Paul Weller at Union Chapel in February.   How Dad Rock is that?

 


 That might be peak Dad Rock!



__________________

https://www.facebook.com/CollectorManiac



She's So Modern

Status: Offline
Posts: 16
Date:
Permalink  
 

" I was going to book Phil Collins until I saw the outrageous cost of entry, and decided he can take a hike. The gig is getting heavy advertisement airplay so I'd say a lot of people are thinking the same as me". 

 

I see Blondie have been announced as support for Dublin 3Arena. Desperation??

 



__________________

Not living at No:10



Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6932
Date:
Permalink  
 

harryhooper2 wrote:

" I was going to book Phil Collins until I saw the outrageous cost of entry, and decided he can take a hike. The gig is getting heavy advertisement airplay so I'd say a lot of people are thinking the same as me". 

I see Blondie have been announced as support for Dublin 3Arena. Desperation??


The only way I would go is if they took Phil Colic off the bill entirely!  £85 to stand half a mile away in Hyde Park.  I'd pay more to stand 10 miles away.  I am seriously considering getting out of town with Cliff in Greenwich the next day and Robbie Williams in Stratford the week before.

I am a little tempted by the Killers with Tears for Fears, White Lies and Elbow a week late at £60, but considering I felt mugged paying less than £40 to see The Who with support from Weller, Johnny Marr, Kaiser Chiefs and Gaz Coombes, I shall resist.  Really far from the stage and the bars, between the two of us we almost got into half a dozen scraps over matters like queue jumping (not guilty, we were told to), talking loudly (yes, but sound was so low you could hear a silent fart), beer spillage (to get so close to where you started and having the beer smashed out of your hands [sigh])  and space invasion (people who had chairs, picnic rugs etc at the bloody barrier!).

Only got to enjoy the gig when I got it months later on DVD and the sound wasn't wafting around.



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6932
Date:
Permalink  
 

Phil Colic is not content with a Golden Shower Circle, but he has to have a fcuking diamond view!  

Don't worry if you didn't get straight in for these £400 + fees tickets, there are plenty available.

BST Phil Collins



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

ArrGee wrote:

Phil Colic is not content with a Golden Shower Circle, but he has to have a fcuking diamond view!  

Don't worry if you didn't get straight in for these £400 + fees tickets, there are plenty available.

BST Phil Collins


 Definitely no Diamond Smiles for £400 seats. How crazy is that. Talk about greedy. 



__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6932
Date:
Permalink  
 

Jules wrote:

 Definitely no Diamond Smiles for £400 seats. How crazy is that. Talk about greedy. 


 There are no seats, that's standing!  At least The Rats offered a seat and a meet and greet for 650 Au$$ie (approx £400).  Not that anyone bought them!



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

ArrGee wrote:
Jules wrote:

 Definitely no Diamond Smiles for £400 seats. How crazy is that. Talk about greedy. 


 There are no seats, that's standing!  At least The Rats offered a seat and a meet and greet for 650 Au$$ie (approx £400).  Not that anyone bought them!


 Wonder if that will go the same way...  who can afford that. I can think of so many better things to buy than gig tickets. I wouldn't pay that for the Rats. 



__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6932
Date:
Permalink  
 

Jules wrote:
ArrGee wrote:
Jules wrote:

 Definitely no Diamond Smiles for £400 seats. How crazy is that. Talk about greedy. 


 There are no seats, that's standing!  At least The Rats offered a seat and a meet and greet for 650 Au$$ie (approx £400).  Not that anyone bought them!


 Wonder if that will go the same way...  who can afford that. I can think of so many better things to buy than gig tickets. I wouldn't pay that for the Rats. 


Plenty can afford it.  His Royal Albert Hall dates all sold out and they were similarly expensive ; £520 for the soundcheck package.

Note the small print at the bottom saying viewing areas are approximate and subject to change.  They will just adjust the size of the golden shower circle and the diamond view for the tickets sold.  

I think there is a certain irony in you having better things to buy than gig tickets having just spent £220 on U2     I probably don't have many better things to spend my money on except maybe David Bowie LPs and sports subscriptions, but if I go to a gig I want to see the reds of their eyes.  



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

Yeah, ok, but that is two tickets.

I've seen the Rats sound check for free many a time.

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard