Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: Rank The B-sides


Back To Boomtown

Status: Online
Posts: 6923
Date:
Rank The B-sides
Permalink  
 


I have excluded all the songs that appear on the original LPs in one form or another.

  1. Do The Rat  (10)
  2. DUN LAOGHAIRE (10)
  3. So Strange  (8)
  4. Late Last Night (8)
  5. Barefootin' (live) (7) 
  6. Born to Burn (7)
  7. Man at the Top (6)
  8. Lying Again (6)
  9. It's All The Rage (6)
  10. Real Different (6)
  11. How Do You Do ? (5)
  12. Don't Talk To Me (4)
  13. No Hiding Place (4)
  14. Precious Time (4)
  15. Walking Downtown (3)
  16. Europe Looked Ugly (2)
  17. Say Hi To Mick (1)


__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

I'll go with

1. Real Different (10)

2. Europe Looked Ugly (9)

3. DUN LAOGHAIRE (9)

4. Late Last Night (8)  

5. So Strange  (8)

6. Do The Rat  (7)

7. It's All The Rage (6)

8. Lying Again (6) 

9. Don't Talk To Me (5)

10. Barefootin' (live) (5) 

11. How Do You Do ? (5)

12. Born to Burn (5)

13. No Hiding Place (4)

14. Man at the Top (4) 

15. Precious Time (3)

16. Say Hi To Mick (2)

17. Walking Downtown (1)

 



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

The Rats always had great b- sides and unlike some bands the b- sides were exclusive to the single, meaning that people were likely to purchase both single and album. The only one I would consider weak was Precious Time.

1 Real Different 10

2 Europe Looked Ugly 10

3 Late Last Night 10

4 So Strange 9

5 Do The Rat 9

6 Born To Burn 8

7 All The Rage 7

8 Walking Down Town 7

9 Barefootin' 7

10 Lying Again 7

11 Don't Talk To Me 6

12 No Hiding Place 6

13 Man At The Top 6

14 Say Hi To Mick 6

15 Dun Laoghaire 6

16 How Do You Do? 6

17 Precious Time 2



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2508
Date:
Permalink  
 

1. Real Different (10)

2. It's all the rage (9)

3. Don't talk to me (9)

4. Late Last Night (8)

5. Europe looked ugly (8)

6. Do The Rat (7)

7. No hiding place (6)

8. Lying Again (6)

9. Man at the top (6)

10. So strange (5)

11. How Do You Do ? (5)

12. Say hi to Mick (5)

13. Dun Laoghaire (4)

14. Walking downtown (4)

15. Precious Time (3)

16. Born to burn (3)

17. Barefootin' (3)



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

Just to point out that only one of the b sides ranks as less than 6/10 for me, 6 being an indication of a good solid track and to be honest I think they are all quite strong with one exception (Precious Time)

ArrGee made an interesting point about Please Don't Go, saying it would have made a good b side. It seems a bit odd if b sides are chosen as being not good enough for an album, but it is more likely that they do not fit in thematically or musically with the general 'feel' of the album, rather than  being substandard tracks.

In fact the 17 b sides almost make up to additional albums worth of songs.

 



__________________


Mondo Bongo

Status: Offline
Posts: 825
Date:
Permalink  
 

I don't really know the B sides as I was a cheapskate and only bought the albums - apart from All the Rage which I did like so will give it a 9!!! Is there an album of the B sides by any chance as would love to hear them? In my defence, I didn't get much pocket money and my Saturday job only paid £6 a day ............

__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

Lisa,

I'll try to cut a CD of the B sides over the hols and bring it to Swindon for you. You've missed out on some great tracks down the years.

As for £6 a day...my paper round yielded £4.50 over 7 mornings. Far be it from me to suggest women fritter cash on non-essentials (and clearly Rats singles were essentials) smile.

 

 



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

Lisa if you do not know the b sides you are in for a treat as there are some marvellous songs which should only enhance whatever you  think of the band already.

It is best to listen to them on a proper cd as you would a record, but as a sampler here is Late Last Night  and Lying Again. I prefer to listen to music away from a computer screen to avoid distraction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRosdFR7v_E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcV00nUpMuA&feature=related



__________________


Mondo Bongo

Status: Offline
Posts: 825
Date:
Permalink  
 

Suss, thank you! Might even buy you a drink then Unless I've frittered away all my cash in the January sales

__________________


Mondo Bongo

Status: Offline
Posts: 825
Date:
Permalink  
 

Noel, thank you - except it won't let me play them, says it's not available in my country! But thank you for the thought anyway - and Happy Christmas!

__________________


The Elephant's Graveyard

Status: Offline
Posts: 87
Date:
Permalink  
 

1 Walking Downtown 10

2 Europe Looked Ugly 9.5 (seriously peed off this wasn't on the remasters)

3 No Hiding Place 8

4 Precious Times 8

5 Late Last Night 8

6 How Do You Do 7.5

7 Say Hi To Mick 7.5

8 Don't Talk To Me 7.5

9 Man At The Top 7

10 Real Different 7

11 Do The Rat 7

12 It's All The Rage 7

13 Dun Laoghaire 6.5

14 Barefootin 6.5

15 So Strange 6

16 Born To Burn 6

17 Lying Again 5.5



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

Lisa wrote:

Noel, thank you - except it won't let me play them, says it's not available in my country! But thank you for the thought anyway - and Happy Christmas!


If you have bought any of the reissued albums then most of the b sides are on them, except for Europe Looked Ugly and Man At The Top.

The uploads on the net were from bad scratchy vinyl and loose the clarity and detail that cd's give so either a Suss compilation or else get your hand on the reissues and hear them that way.

Happy Christmas and don't drink too much!



__________________


Back To Boomtown

Status: Online
Posts: 6923
Date:
Permalink  
 

noelindublin wrote:


ArrGee made an interesting point about Please Don't Go, saying it would have made a good b side.


Maybe I did, I don't remember!  However, it would have been better left off Mondo Bongo.  Man at The Top and/or Real Different were both better.

noelindublin wrote:


 

It seems a bit odd if b sides are chosen as being not good enough for an album, but it is more likely that they do not fit in thematically or musically with the general 'feel' of the album, rather than  being substandard tracks 


The clue is in the producer or sometimes the song writer.  So Strange, How Do You Do? and Lying Again were all produced by the Rats rather than Mutt Lange, so I suspect they were discarded at an early stage.  I believe the same of Do The Rat, It's All The Rage and Late Last Night but not 100% certain of those, I will check later.

The Sweet made very interesting B-sides.  Whereas on the A-side you got the Chinn/Chapman bubble gum pap, the b-sides had bonafide classics written by and produced by the band (You're Not Wrong for Loving Me, Done Me Wrong all Right, Spotlight, Man from Mecca, New York Connection, Need a Lot of Lovin, Burning, Rock 'n' Roll Disgrace).  Eventually they started to write the A-sides (Fox on the Run and Action).

So the B-sides in Sweet's case were prior to Blockbuster and The Sweet F.A. album a truer representation of the band  than the A-sides, some of which they didn't even play on.



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


Back To Boomtown

Status: Online
Posts: 6923
Date:
Permalink  
 

noelindublin wrote:

The uploads on the net were from bad scratchy vinyl and loose the clarity and detail that cd's give so either a Suss compilation or else get your hand on the reissues and hear them that way.


Stream them off Spotify or we7.  You can hear most that way.

However well worth noting that there are some additional B-side gems, such as A Storm Breaks instrumental, the re-recorded She's So Modern, the extended Up All Night and best of all Lazun Gemmun, which is a live, extra long version of Banana Republic paired with As Close As You'll Ever Be. Also a live version of Nothing Happened Today came with Charmed Lives.

Not sure if any of these links in these post work, but try anyway.

http://boomtownrats.activeboard.com/t16467453/lazun-gemmum/

http://boomtownrats.activeboard.com/t9794483/different-version-of-shes-so-modern-on-va-comp/



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


Back To Boomtown

Status: Online
Posts: 6923
Date:
Permalink  
 

Lisa wrote:
Is there an album of the B sides by any chance as would love to hear them?

Sadly, no.  Quite rare for artists to do B-side records. Only bands I can think of doing one specially are Oasis, Suede, Slade (although many of their B-sides were album tracks) and The Fall.  Sometimes bands have them as the bonus CD/LP for the hits album (Ash & XTC) or just throw them all into a box set with all the other tracks (Beatles, Jam & Police).

The re-issues did cover most of them but as mentioned a good few didn't make it onto CD. 

 

 

 



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

The only  song I am missing is the 'Bradford song' from the 1982/83 concert which was an item for discussion a year or so back.

Have not heard this yet as I do not have the Bradford concert and I remember people saying that the song never emerged on In The Long Grass or in any recognisable b side, so it remains somewhat of a mystery.

Don't know if the recording  is clear and detailed enough to pick out he lyrics, but for me it's the only one that got away.

I used to think that Lazen Gemmun was either a Dutch or German pressing.

A longer version of Banana Republic or an instrumental Storm Breaks while interesting don't excite me too much, but I do have both in my collection.

 



__________________


Back To Boomtown

Status: Online
Posts: 6923
Date:
Permalink  
 

noelindublin wrote:
The only  song I am missing is the 'Bradford song' from the 1982/83 concert which was an item for discussion a year or so back.

 Derek The Dane kindly supplied it to me and a few others.   I did make an mp3 of it that I gave to someone, will try and dig it out.



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


Mondo Bongo

Status: Offline
Posts: 825
Date:
Permalink  
 

noelindublin wrote:
Lisa wrote:

Noel, thank you - except it won't let me play them, says it's not available in my country! But thank you for the thought anyway - and Happy Christmas!


If you have bought any of the reissued albums then most of the b sides are on them, except for Europe Looked Ugly and Man At The Top.

The uploads on the net were from bad scratchy vinyl and loose the clarity and detail that cd's give so either a Suss compilation or else get your hand on the reissues and hear them that way.

Happy Christmas and don't drink too much!


 Well, I look forward to being enlightened by hearing the b sides one way or another.

As for drinking too much, me?  I never do ........

New Year's Resolution 2012 - must try to give up lying! no

Merry Christmas to everyone anyway! smile



__________________


House on Fire

Status: Offline
Posts: 120
Date:
Permalink  
 

1. Europe looked ugly (10)
2. Do the rat (9)
3. Man at the top (9)
4. Precious times (8)
5. Say hi to mick (8)
6. Barefootin (7)
7. Late last night (6)
8. How do you do (6)
9. So strange (6)
10.Walking downtown (5)
11.No hiding place (5)
12.Dont talk to me (4)
13.Its all the rage (4)
14.Lying again (3)
15.Real different (3)
16.Born to burn (2)
17.Dun laoghaire (1)


__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

suss wrote:

Lisa,

I'll try to cut a CD of the B sides over the hols and bring it to Swindon for you. You've missed out on some great tracks down the years.

As for £6 a day...my paper round yielded £4.50 over 7 mornings. Far be it from me to suggest women fritter cash on non-essentials (and clearly Rats singles were essentials) smile.

 

 


Suss- don't know if you heard the recent programme on BBC Radio 4 in which five celebrities retrace there paper rounds.

I heard some of the episodes last week as the were broadcast. There are just 15 mins long and the celebrities include Alan Parker, Stephen K Amos and artist Molly Parkin.

One of the question the host Bob Kingdom asks is if having a paper round helped develop a skill with managing money, and creating a work ethic.

I've included the link shoul you wish to hear some of the episodes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b014tfb1



__________________


Mondo Bongo

Status: Offline
Posts: 825
Date:
Permalink  
 

noelindublin wrote:
Suss- don't know if you heard the recent programme on BBC Radio 4 in which five celebrities retrace there paper rounds.

I heard some of the episodes last week as the were broadcast. There are just 15 mins long and the celebrities include Alan Parker, Stephen K Amos and artist Molly Parkin.

One of the question the host Bob Kingdom asks is if having a paper round helped develop a skill with managing money, and creating a work ethic.

I've included the link shoul you wish to hear some of the episodes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b014tfb1


 Not sure about creating a work ethic - I mean all that time spent on the forum instead of working ........

no



__________________


Mondo Bongo

Status: Offline
Posts: 825
Date:
Permalink  
 

But if you've got any spare time, in between "working" and chatting, then maybe you could get that CD of B sides cut for me Did get remastered TFTT and FAOS for Xmas so have heard a few of them now but would appreciate hearing the rest

__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

noelindublin wrote:

Suss- don't know if you heard the recent programme on BBC Radio 4 in which five celebrities retrace there paper rounds.

I heard some of the episodes last week as the were broadcast. There are just 15 mins long and the celebrities include Alan Parker, Stephen K Amos and artist Molly Parkin.

One of the question the host Bob Kingdom asks is if having a paper round helped develop a skill with managing money, and creating a work ethic.

I've included the link shoul you wish to hear some of the episodes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b014tfb1


 Cheers Noel - I'll have a listen, but up front I'd say that job certainly did engender a work ethic and helped me appreciate saving up. I never got separate pocket money. The fact that most probably went on records that I've still got makes it money well spent in my book. Shame therefore that I'm as guilty as most nowadays in not (yet) instilling the same saving up ethic in my boys. Doesn't help that a round delivering to 30 houses probably covers about 12 miles in this day and age though no



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

Good listen. Brought back many happy memories....not least the spending of hard earned own cash at Cloakes, 101 Records or the legendary Beano's in Croydon. In fact can pretty much remember which shop I got each Rats single in; amazing when I can't even be certain where I bought a CD from a month ago. Think the silicon chip inside my head got switched to overload somewhere along the way. 

 

 



__________________


Never In A Million Years

Status: Offline
Posts: 94
Date:
Permalink  
 

Most of those magical B-Sides I have, but where to get stuff like 'Born to Burn', the alternate 'She's So Modern' and the other really rare stuff?

__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

IrelandCalling wrote:

Most of those magical B-Sides I have, but where to get stuff like 'Born to Burn', the alternate 'She's So Modern' and the other really rare stuff?


 Born to Burn is available on vinyl Looking After Number 1 (7" or 12") and the SSM version can be found on a special edition Drag Me Down 12" that was issued at the time. Both on Ebay from time to time (No 1 pretty much anytime) but if you don't have means to play vinyl I'm sure someone on here can provide a link to downloaded versions. At a push send me a PM and I can burn and post a CD.

An alternative source for alternative SSM is a compliation from early 80s called 'Modern Rockers', which was first place I encountered it, and was shocked/thrilled in doing so as I didn't even know it was a version.

 

 



__________________


House on Fire

Status: Offline
Posts: 141
Date:
Permalink  
 

I'll pick:

Europe Looked Ugly
Walking Downtown
Precious Time

...and you can have the rest. Oh, except Elvis Costello wants 'Real Different' back ;)


__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

suss wrote:
IrelandCalling wrote:

Most of those magical B-Sides I have, but where to get stuff like 'Born to Burn', the alternate 'She's So Modern' and the other really rare stuff?


 Born to Burn is available on vinyl Looking After Number 1 (7" or 12") and the SSM version can be found on a special edition Drag Me Down 12" that was issued at the time. Both on Ebay from time to time (No 1 pretty much anytime) but if you don't have means to play vinyl I'm sure someone on here can provide a link to downloaded versions. At a push send me a PM and I can burn and post a CD.

An alternative source for alternative SSM is a compliation from early 80s called 'Modern Rockers', which was first place I encountered it, and was shocked/thrilled in doing so as I didn't even know it was a version.

 

 


 Born To Burn was on the b side of Looking After No 1 so isn't really rare. It was a really great song, albeit fairly short but is one of the most energetic songs the Rats have ever recorded so worth searching for.

I got to hear the 'alternate' version of Shes So Modern thanks to a cd from Suss. While it is interesting I think the proper finished version released as a single was way superior.

I do not know how this alternate version emerged. Was it a demo or what exactly was it meant to be?

Another recordings worth having are  the two sessions done for John Peel back in 1977 and 1978, which might count as rarities.

Europe Looked Ugly was the b side of House On Fire and is generally considered one of the Rats best b sides. Again it all depends on how deep your interest and devotion for the band is. Most of us hard core fans on this forum have all the old vinyl from back in the day, and the only 'new' stuff to emerge was the four tracks on the first album which were original demos which did not make the cut for the debut album.

There is also a 'reggae' type version of Mondays which was an early prototype of the song, it was actually aired live for the first time in one of the US shows back in 1979. The lyrics are quite different to the finished version we all know, but it is fascinating nonetheless as a work in progress, and shows how music is subject to change and how something so familiar can also seem quite strange.



__________________


Never In A Million Years

Status: Offline
Posts: 94
Date:
Permalink  
 

Thanks for all that info guys, and Suss - I may take you up on the offer and I am parched with the rock'n'roll thirst to hear these rare Rats tunes!

To quote Noel:

Again it all depends on how deep your interest and devotion for the band is. Most of us hard core fans on this forum have all the old vinyl from back in the day, and the only 'new' stuff to emerge was the four tracks on the first album which were original demos which did not make the cut for the debut album

- I'm a HUGE Rats fan; have all the albums, and the official DVD's; always recommending them to friends - can't believe how these songs (besides the 2 or 3 huge ones) are not known to a wider audience.

Only this past weekend began hearing some of the FM-quality Live broadcasts - they are a revelation!! Hammersmith '82 is the one I listened to first (I have 6 - must ask here for recommendations on more!)

Besides the B-Sides released on the official remasters, I absolutely loved "All the Rage" - the version I have kindly sent I think by Jules here 2 years ago, I'd love a hi-fi version if one exists. So having the rest would be magnificent!

I got into the Rats in 2003/2004 when Geldof played Dublin and the remasters came out, I loved the gig so much and the 'Troops' album that I bought the other 5 within a week and all 6 are on my i-pod and never leave!

__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

Most of us on the forum are fans from when we were teenagers in the late seventies and the Rats were happening.So you can 'do the math' as regards our vintage. No idea how old you are, but I like the idea of someone just discovering the Boomtown Rats music, purely on its own merits, without any baggage, as it were.

Great that a band can be so impressive that you went out and bought all their cd's in one fell swoop, so to speak. The Boomtown Rats  have always been an underappreciated band, particularly in Ireland, when all sorts of Irish music gets praised to high heaven, most of it completely rubbish.

There are some songs, mainly cover versions, that also would count as rarities, which appear on live bootlegs. Generally by bands who influenced the Rats eg Dr Feelgood or the Rolling Stones.

There is a really great demo version of Late Last Night, which amazed me when I heard it a few years ago, so much going on, so much energy and Geldof sounded brilliant. It's a good sign of any band that one can listen to them for over thirty years, and still see new things in their music and never really tire of it. Live versions always bring out something new in the sound.

 



__________________


Never In A Million Years

Status: Offline
Posts: 94
Date:
Permalink  
 

That indeed is a wonderful thing, to listen to a band for 30 years and find something new as thrilling as the older tunes

I discovered the Rat's as I mentioned really in 2004 (Geldof live in Dublin that year I think it was, and the Remasters came out) - was mid twenties at the time; and basically those albums have never left the PC or i-pod since!

A mate o' mine have me a copy of 'Troops' at that time which also had 'All the Rage' on it as a bonus, and the album was a revelation! Loved every R&B/pop/new wave soaked minute of it (took me a wee bit longer maybe with one or two tracks; 'Can't Stop' for example). 'How Do You Do?' was one that grabbed immediately also, just so full of energy and vibrancy. The album as a whole is still one of my favourites, chock full of memorable melodies and great lyrics.

Pretty much purchased the rest within a week or two^ 'Surfacing' was as immediate to me as 'Troops' - with some truly stellar songs, inventive melodies, and just wonderful sounds. An incredible album, and possibly now my favourite Rats' album and one of my faves of any band/genre.

The slightly more experimental 'V Depp' & 'Mondo Bongo' weren't as immediate, but over time they are, in my opinion, as vital to the Rats' legend as any other album. 'V Deep' especially, simply love the grooves, not a single bad track on there and some that are exceptional.

Bought the 2 DVD's with the CD's - 'Someones Looking at You: Rats on Film' and the spectacular 'Hammersmith 1978' (which I re-purchased just yesterday and losing original version)


I desire more!!! A 4-hour Anthology DVD box set please Mr. Geldof, and EVERY Rats B--Side and rare song :)


__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

It's really good that someone can discover the Rats music that clearly was not around at the time it was made, and be so impressed.

I believe about 95% of the Rats output is really top quality.  I have always loved Bob Geldof as a singer he is an amazing lyricist as well. The schism on the forum is generally between those who continue to value Geldof as a solo artist and those who see his best days were with the Rats. Some have come on board as fans of Bob Geldof and have little regard for the Rats!

Me, I continued to follow Geldof througout his career, and while I prefer the Boomtown Rats sound and general attitude, have lots of time for Geldof as a solo artist and continue to be fascinated with the guy who was the main man in Ireland's best band ever- however unfashionable he may seem to others! Probably in the same way that those fans of the Jam still like Paul Weller. Something that's really good does not suddenly become rubbish- it just takes a slightly different attitute and approach.



__________________


Never In A Million Years

Status: Offline
Posts: 94
Date:
Permalink  
 

I see the point re: Weller and The Jam; for me I'm a Rats fan, and wouldn't be as well versed in solo Geldof.

I have 3 solo Bob albums, including the most recent, which was very good in places. Just very different beasts really - solo stuff, in my opinion, doesn't that the wild and manic energy of the Rats, but then it's many years later and he's a different person. I like quite a lot of the solo stuff I've heard, but for sheer musical pleasure, it's the Rats I'm hooked on!

__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

IrelandCalling wrote:

Thanks for all that info guys, and Suss - I may take you up on the offer and I am parched with the rock'n'roll thirst to hear these rare Rats tunes!


 No problem if you want to take up offer. Just send me a posting address via PM. Have a think about any other tracks you might want while I'm cutting a CD. Might as well fill it.



__________________


Never In A Million Years

Status: Offline
Posts: 94
Date:
Permalink  
 

Hi Suss,

That is wonderful, thanks so much for the offer. I'll PM you my address, and as for songs..I think I'll consult the posts above as they mentioned some magnifique outtakes/rare I'd never even known about!

There are a few I am craving the most^ - 'Born to Burn' of course; 'All the Rage' - I have this, the quality is very decent, but IF there exists a darn good version (CD quality), that would absolutely be one I'd love as it's one of my fave Rats tunes!

There are others, looking at lists above, I've never heard - Man at the Top / Precious Time / Europe Looked Ugly / Walking Downtown


NoelinDublin mentioned a fascinating "reggae version of Mondays" - that sounds awesome, early takes are interesting for serious fans of a band

And ArrGee mentioned some equally fascinating stuff, I'll quote if I may:

"However well worth noting that there are some additional B-side gems, such as A Storm Breaks instrumental, the re-recorded She's So Modern, the extended Up All Night and best of all Lazun Gemmun, which is a live, extra long version of Banana Republic paired with As Close As You'll Ever Be"

I'll PM you the details, and if I may say thank you VERY much, it's a very kind offer and I will seriously appreciate these gems!!

'Go raibh maith agat' (Thankings in Irish!)


__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

The b sides Precious Time and Walking Down Town were on the remastered version of In The Long Grass.

Europe Looked Ugly was the b side of House On Fire, and in my, and a lot of other fans opinions is one of the bands best tracks.

Man At The Top was written by Gerry Cott, the guitarist who left the band in 1981, and is a pretty good song. Gerry Cott appeared on stage with Bob Geldof when Geldof played the Cadagon Hall in London in the summer. As the title of the song suggests it is about a rock star trying to maintain his success with lyrics like : 'And now can you keep control?/ and now can you make it last?' 



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

suss wrote:

I'll go with

1. Real Different (10)

2. Europe Looked Ugly (9)

3. DUN LAOGHAIRE (9)

4. Late Last Night (8)  

5. So Strange  (8)

6. Do The Rat  (7)

7. It's All The Rage (6)

8. Lying Again (6) 

9. Don't Talk To Me (5)

10. Barefootin' (live) (5) 

11. How Do You Do ? (5)

12. Born to Burn (5)

13. No Hiding Place (4)

14. Man at the Top (4) 

15. Precious Time (3)

16. Say Hi To Mick (2)

17. Walking Downtown (1)

 


 Greetings pop pickers. Precious Times is a big climber in my charts this week after a couple more plays for first time in years and years. Would now put in my top 10 on reflection, maybe #10 with all the others from Barefootin' down one place for argument's sake.

Funny how different tracks grab you way after the event. Noticed a similar comment from someone (Mark?) on the Dutch TV Million Years thread. I'd say Wind Chill Factor minus zero, Hurt Hurts and I Can Make It If You Can were particular slow burners for me, along with Precious Times by looks of it. Can't get those lines  'You've been telling me your life story' through to 'I've got the feeling.....' out of my head this last week or so.

Maybe I'll like Charmed Lives in another 30 years....



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

Precious Time was written by Simon Crowe. Last time I listened to it I found the lyrics a bit repetitive, all those lines about wasting the singers precious time, but no real detail as to the 'offence', or what exactly the relationship between the protagonists in the song was.

Was it a broken love affair? Perhaps some background event in the Boomtown Rats story known only to the writer, or maybe it is just meant to be open to interpretation- but because we are not given the other side of the story, it seems a bit one sided and can come across as perhaps lacking sympathy or understanding.

 Lots of times songs work because some of the lyrics, even in isolation from the main meaning of the song, can just seem personally relevant to the listener, and describe fully some pertinent situation, or triggers something on an unconscious level.

I know you don't think to much of Walking Down Town, but I think if warrants further investigation. Most of us who voted seem to rank it fairly highly, and there are loads of neat melody lines  and a lot going on with backing vocals, and the lyrics are really good too, worth reading while listening to the song so as not to miss any of the lines about the hat check girl and 'starting their hearts with whatever's left', and the 'junkie town,junkie town' refrain. It shows the Rats could deal with difficult subject matter like drug addiction and the underbelly of society and for me it really works.

Other Rats drugs related subject matter include Dave and The Little Death- maybe the protagonist in Precious Time was someone looking to borrow money for drugs, as in the lines from Dave :'So what's a fiver, why so mean?'



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

noelindublin wrote:

I know you don't think to much of Walking Down Town, but I think if warrants further investigation. Most of us who voted seem to rank it fairly highly, and there are loads of neat melody lines  and a lot going on with backing vocals, and the lyrics are really good too, worth reading while listening to the song so as not to miss any of the lines about the hat check girl and 'starting their hearts with whatever's left', and the 'junkie town,junkie town' refrain. It shows the Rats could deal with difficult subject matter like drug addiction and the underbelly of society and for me it really works.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Oddly enough I found myself giving that track another 'chance' at the same time, and wondered about throwing down the gauntlet to those on here who rate it. Why??!?

You've pre-empted the question and given some rationale, which I fully respect but simply cannot relate to. Perhaps it's the disjointed nature and "lots going on" that don't appeal for me, but I'd say melodically it does nothing for me at all. Current view remains it's a bit of a mess...but I'l try again concentrating on the lyrics only to see if there's any redemption smile.

Do recall wondering mid 80s whether 634 5789 might really be Bob's number, naive ignoramus that I was. Plus ca change cry

 

 



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

suss wrote:

Bonus disc (incl Born to Burn) next gig

 


 In the interim, try 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy_uC8oKWCc for Born to Burn

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jna-UDKi72g for Say Hi to Mick



-- Edited by suss on Wednesday 8th of February 2012 06:40:17 PM



-- Edited by suss on Wednesday 8th of February 2012 06:41:59 PM

__________________


Mondo Bongo

Status: Offline
Posts: 825
Date:
Permalink  
 

1. So Strange (9) - love the heaviness and grim lyrics
2. Real Different (8)
3. How Do You Do (8) - loud and energetic
4. Europe Looked Ugly (8) - good lyrics
5. Lying Again (8)
6. Late Last Night (8)
7. Its All The Rage (7) - good lighthearted sound and love the woo woos! Very exuberant
8. Dont Talk To Me (7)
9. No Hiding Place (7) - great wolf noises! And love the manic keyboard sound
10. Do The Rat (7) - good fun
11. Precious Time (6)
12. Barefootin (6) - lively
13. Dun Laoghaire (5)
14. Man At The Top (4)

Not heard the following three so can't comment! Unfortunately Born To Burn won't play on CD Suss gave me and Walking Downtown and Say Hi To Mick weren't on it - obvious why from score Suss gave them! But will maybe mark them in the future ....

15. Born To Burn ?
16. Walking Downtown ?
17. Say Hi to Mick ?

Need to listen further to them all, as not yet familiar with some of the lyrics and sometimes knowing the lyrics then makes the song mean more and I like it better. But sometimes just like the overall sound or energy in the song. Anyway just some initial thoughts and rankings ..... I reserve the right to change my mind

__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

suss wrote:
noelindublin wrote:

I know you don't think to much of Walking Down Town, but I think if warrants further investigation. Most of us who voted seem to rank it fairly highly, and there are loads of neat melody lines  and a lot going on with backing vocals, and the lyrics are really good too, worth reading while listening to the song so as not to miss any of the lines about the hat check girl and 'starting their hearts with whatever's left', and the 'junkie town,junkie town' refrain. It shows the Rats could deal with difficult subject matter like drug addiction and the underbelly of society and for me it really works.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Oddly enough I found myself giving that track another 'chance' at the same time, and wondered about throwing down the gauntlet to those on here who rate it. Why??!?

You've pre-empted the question and given some rationale, which I fully respect but simply cannot relate to. Perhaps it's the disjointed nature and "lots going on" that don't appeal for me, but I'd say melodically it does nothing for me at all. Current view remains it's a bit of a mess...but I'l try again concentrating on the lyrics only to see if there's any redemption smile.

Do recall wondering mid 80s whether 634 5789 might really be Bob's number, naive ignoramus that I was. Plus ca change cry

 

 


 I listened to Precious Time again last night and it certainly ranks at more than the 2/10 I gave it, it's in no way a bad song, but for me in relation to most of the other b sides it's a bit weak, all things being relative. I  hereby recast my vote, now giving it 5/10!

In the case of Walking Down Town, which I listened to last night, for me it still holds up as a really good song. There might be a lot going on, with different shifts of mood etc but I would prefer that to a song with three simple chords like some rubbish from Green Day that passes for 'punk' these days.

 I find if songs are too simple they just become really irritating, so there has to be enough happening to keep it interesting and not too predictable. Its the difference between complex carbohydrates and simple sugars, to use a food analogy.



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

Lisa wrote:

1. So Strange (9) - love the heaviness and grim lyrics
2. Real Different (8)
3. How Do You Do (8) - loud and energetic
4. Europe Looked Ugly (8) - good lyrics
5. Lying Again (8)
6. Late Last Night (8)
7. Its All The Rage (7) - good lighthearted sound and love the woo woos! Very exuberant
8. Dont Talk To Me (7)
9. No Hiding Place (7) - great wolf noises! And love the manic keyboard sound
10. Do The Rat (7) - good fun
11. Precious Time (6)
12. Barefootin (6) - lively
13. Dun Laoghaire (5)
14. Man At The Top (4)

Not heard the following three so can't comment! Unfortunately Born To Burn won't play on CD Suss gave me and Walking Downtown and Say Hi To Mick weren't on it - obvious why from score Suss gave them! But will maybe mark them in the future ....

15. Born To Burn ?
16. Walking Downtown ?
17. Say Hi to Mick ?

Need to listen further to them all, as not yet familiar with some of the lyrics and sometimes knowing the lyrics then makes the song mean more and I like it better. But sometimes just like the overall sound or energy in the song. Anyway just some initial thoughts and rankings ..... I reserve the right to change my mind


 Glad you're enjoying the missing b sides, or most of them anyway. The Rats lyrics are always worth 'studying', as there are some really great lines that may not be too obvious unless you see them written down, and sometimes the songs are so frenetic you are bound to miss a lot of the words.

Let us know if you are missing any lyrics and someone should be able to provide them for you. Unfortunately none of us have been able to 'get' the lyrics for It's All The Rage because they have never been published and it's pretty hard to figure them out fully, though various attempts have been made.



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

IrelandCalling wrote:

Besides the B-Sides released on the official remasters, I absolutely loved "All the Rage" - the version I have kindly sent I think by Jules here 2 years ago, I'd love a hi-fi version if one exists. So having the rest would be magnificent!


 There's a 3" CD Germany release 'Mondays' single which has It's All The Rage as the other track. Think I may have said elsewhere I wasn't aware of any official CD version for IATR but, not for first or last time, I was wrong.

I've just ordered a copy off Musicstack.

Edited to add that ArrGee referenced this many moons ago...recommend the search facility on the forum...belatedly!



-- Edited by suss on Thursday 9th of February 2012 12:03:58 AM

__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

Lisa wrote:


Not heard the following three so can't comment! Unfortunately Born To Burn won't play on CD Suss gave me and Walking Downtown and Say Hi To Mick weren't on it - obvious why from score Suss gave them! But will maybe mark them in the future ....

--------------------------------------------------------------

Their omission wasn't down to my opinion. Was a combination of me thinking some other tracks (e.g. Rain) would be a better way of filling CD, but mainly me thinking (wrongly) that you had the ITLG reissue CD that includes them. Bonus disc (incl Born to Burn) next gig, especially if it nets me another large scotch as payment biggrin.

 



__________________


Mondo Bongo

Status: Offline
Posts: 825
Date:
Permalink  
 

suss wrote:
Lisa wrote:


Not heard the following three so can't comment! Unfortunately Born To Burn won't play on CD Suss gave me and Walking Downtown and Say Hi To Mick weren't on it - obvious why from score Suss gave them! But will maybe mark them in the future ....

--------------------------------------------------------------

Their omission wasn't down to my opinion. Was a combination of me thinking some other tracks (e.g. Rain) would be a better way of filling CD, but mainly me thinking (wrongly) that you had the ITLG reissue CD that includes them. Bonus disc (incl Born to Burn) next gig, especially if it nets me another large scotch as payment biggrin.

 


 OK, future payment might be deferred/withheld until quality of goods checked out though   Then depending on that a suitable reward given - might just be a single ........ don't want anyone thinking I'm a soft touch biggrin

But thanks for CD - am enjoying it smile



__________________


Mondo Bongo

Status: Offline
Posts: 825
Date:
Permalink  
 

Am reminded of Great Balls of Fire - Jerry Lee Lewis when I listen to Barefootin' ...

I must say all the b-sides I've heard so far are pretty good and well worth a listen. And have just noticed the youtube links Suss gave (thanks!), missed them last night! Will need to listen to a few more times before I rank them. But initial thoughts are that I like Born to Burn, and Say Hi, well I'm not sure about, would have been hard pushed to know it was the Rats at start of track! Certainly different, real different in fact! Sounded a bit like Simon and Garfunkel Will have to listen further anyway, and also to CD to decipher lyrics - thanks Noel for offer of translating! But will try to work out some myself - always fun as long as you have enough time to really listen and concentrate. Half-term next week anyway so may get a chance to indulge myself

Also just realised, it's nearly a year ago since I joined here! February 14th in fact - so Happy Valentines to everybody, I love you all Doesn't time fly .......

__________________


Never In A Million Years

Status: Offline
Posts: 94
Date:
Permalink  
 

Just heard some of those tracks that I hadn't even known I'd been missing; thank you very much Suss for the excellent CD!!!

I haven't put CD 1 onto the PC yet (with the Newcastle Live..etc) but started with the 2nd and it went on no problem at all and is already on the i-pod; Born to Burn is brilliant!! After a few years of being a big Rats fan I only learned of this song 2 weeks ago on this forum^ How I missed such a blistering track - now I have it, and love it. The other choices you included were sterling and as far as I know, complete my Rats collection of B-Sides.

"Mondays" - the new wave/rock version was a revelation, never had even heard of this before last week and after listening to it last night, loved it! Ditto demo versions of "Late Last Night", "Joey's on the Street Again" and "She's so Modern". "It's All the Rage" is great, I had that one, but in lesser quality, the one you Suss included was better, much better; delighted to have this!

Many thanks indeed!

__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

IrelandCalling wrote:

"Mondays" - the new wave/rock version was a revelation


 If you like that demo version I reckon you'd also like the version the current Rats do...a decent recording can be heard at http://www.garryroberts.com/Site/Audio.html

 

No need to thank me  - I'm just happy to spread the word. It's others on here (notably Bobi G) that unearth these gems for us.

 



__________________


Never In A Million Years

Status: Offline
Posts: 94
Date:
Permalink  
 

Very cool, thanks for the Link - will give that a listen this eve!

__________________


Back To Boomtown

Status: Online
Posts: 6923
Date:
Permalink  
 

ArrGee wrote:

I have excluded all the songs that appear on the original LPs in one form or another.

  1. Do The Rat  (10)
  2. DUN LAOGHAIRE (10)
  3. So Strange  (8)
  4. Late Last Night (8)
  5. Barefootin' (live) (7) 
  6. Born to Burn (7)
  7. Man at the Top (6)
  8. Lying Again (6)
  9. It's All The Rage (6)
  10. Real Different (6)
  11. How Do You Do ? (5)
  12. Don't Talk To Me (4)
  13. No Hiding Place (4)
  14. Precious Time (4)
  15. Walking Downtown (3)
  16. Europe Looked Ugly (2)
  17. Say Hi To Mick (1)

 No Tomorrow Like Today squeezes in between Precious Time and Walking Downtown.  A generous (4) from the London jury.



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2508
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:

1. Real Different (10)

2. It's all the rage (9)

3. No Tomorrow Like Today (9)

4. Don't talk to me (9)

5. Late Last Night (8)

6. Europe looked ugly (8)

7. Do The Rat (7)

8. No hiding place (6)

9. Lying Again (6)

10. Man at the top (6)

11. So strange (5)

12. How Do You Do ? (5)

13. Say hi to Mick (5)

14. Dun Laoghaire (4)

15. Walking downtown (4)

16. Precious Time (3)

17. Born to burn (3)

18. Barefootin' (3)


 



__________________


Back To Boomtown

Status: Online
Posts: 6923
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:

 

3. No Tomorrow Like Today (9)

 


 Wow!  



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2508
Date:
Permalink  
 

ArrGee wrote:
Mark L wrote:

 

3. No Tomorrow Like Today (9)

 


 Wow!  


 Genuinely, with me it just hits the spot! I wish it was on the album instead of The Boomtown Rats song. And if Back to Boomtown was there too, what an album that would be. 



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1316
Date:
Permalink  
 

For me the rats had so many great B sides.

1 Colse as you'll ever be ( B side to 12 ins Dave) 10

2 Born to burn 10

3 Real different 10

4 Europe looked ulgy 10

5 Late last night 10

6 Do the rat 9

7 Barefootin 9

8 Lying again 9

9 So strange 8

10 It's all the rage 7

11 How do you do 7

12 Man at the top 10

13 Don't talk to me 6

14 Precious times 5

15 No hiding place. 4

16 Say hi to Mick 3

17 Walking down town 3

18 Dun Laoghaire 2.

 



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2508
Date:
Permalink  
 

manatthetop wrote:

For me the rats had so many great B sides.

1 Colse as you'll ever be ( B side to 12 ins Dave) 10

2 Born to burn 10

3 Real different 10

4 Europe looked ulgy 10

5 Late last night 10

6 Do the rat 9

7 Barefootin 9

8 Lying again 9

9 So strange 8

10 It's all the rage 7

11 How do you do 7

12 Man at the top 10

13 Don't talk to me 6

14 Precious times 5

15 No hiding place. 4

16 Say hi to Mick 3

17 Walking down town 3

18 Dun Laoghaire 2.

 


 Fair play. What about No Tomorrow Like Today? 



__________________


I Don't Like Mondays

Status: Offline
Posts: 48
Date:
Permalink  
 

1. Man at the Top

2. Europe Looked Ugly

3. Walking Down Town

4. It's all the Rage

5. So Strange

6. Do the Rat

7. Late Last Night

8. Lying Again

9. No Tomorrow Like Today

10. How Do You Do ?

11. Real Different

12. Don't Talk To Me

13. Say Hi To Mick

14. Precious Time

15. Born to Burn

16. No Hiding Place

17. Barefootin'



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1316
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:
manatthetop wrote:

For me the rats had so many great B sides.

1 Close as you'll ever be ( B side to 12 ins Dave) 10

2 Born to burn 10

3 Real different 10

4 Europe looked ulgy 10

5 Late last night 10

6 Do the rat 9

7 Barefootin 9

8 Lying again 9

9 So strange 8

10 It's all the rage 7

11 How do you do 7

12 Man at the top 10

13 Don't talk to me 6

14 Precious times 5

15 No hiding place. 4

16 Say hi to Mick 3

17 Walking down town 3

18 Dun Laoghaire 2.

 


 Fair play. What about No Tomorrow Like Today? 


 For me this B side gets 10 out of 10



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2508
Date:
Permalink  
 

manatthetop wrote:
Mark L wrote:
manatthetop wrote:

For me the rats had so many great B sides.

1 Close as you'll ever be ( B side to 12 ins Dave) 10

2 Born to burn 10

3 Real different 10

4 Europe looked ulgy 10

5 Late last night 10

6 Do the rat 9

7 Barefootin 9

8 Lying again 9

9 So strange 8

10 It's all the rage 7

11 How do you do 7

12 Man at the top 10

13 Don't talk to me 6

14 Precious times 5

15 No hiding place. 4

16 Say hi to Mick 3

17 Walking down town 3

18 Dun Laoghaire 2.

 


 Fair play. What about No Tomorrow Like Today? 


 For me this B side gets 10 out of 10


 Once again, the NI jury is spot on smile



__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard