Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Worst concert you have ever attended?


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2815
Date:
Worst concert you have ever attended?
Permalink  
 


Anybody ever been at a truly disappointing, let down concert? 

I always remember a few years ago going to see The Inspiral Carpets in Dublin, about 2003. The Carpets were a good indie band don't get me wrong. Peaked in the early nineties. But for some reason they could not get the audience going and everybody was just standing around waiting for the old magic to kick in.

Didn't help that the Carpets singer is not the most charismatic lead man is rock history. Clint Boon on the organ was having a fruitless time too and Hingley and co just ploughed on, despite a feeling in the air of it not happening. It wasn't a disaster but a case of being out of time, ten years too late, ten years older etc.

Of course there can be multiple reasons for a bad concert, from drinking too much (band or audience or both!) to rubbish sound system etc. Bad seats, overpriced tickets, playing too long or too short. 

 



__________________


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 7162
Date:
Permalink  
 

Morrissey last time out was pretty poor.  Lots of new sub-standard material, and a fairly dire rendition of This Charming Man at the end.  Most of the people checking their twitter accounts due to the impending riots, and my wife's umbrella was confiscated to boot.  She has vowed never to see him again unless he reforms The Smiths.  Shame is on the previous occasion we saw him, he was on top form and supported by The Libertines.

Probably seen a few other stinkers down the years, but so long ago I can barely remember.



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

Was very disappointed in James at Brighton, prob about 10 years ago. 

Had the age old dilemma about whether to play the 'big' song or not, and to be honest I was one of those looking forward to Sit Down at some point, but it wasn't the absence of the song that soured it, just their reaction to fans singing it and 'demanding' it for an encore. Singer was really condescending and hostile - no need for that no. Left a bad taste... 



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2815
Date:
Permalink  
 

suss wrote:

Was very disappointed in James at Brighton, prob about 10 years ago. 

Had the age old dilemma about whether to play the 'big' song or not, and to be honest I was one of those looking forward to Sit Down at some point, but it wasn't the absence of the song that soured it, just their reaction to fans singing it and 'demanding' it for an encore. Singer was really condescending and hostile - no need for that no. Left a bad taste... 


 I always feel live music is very hit and miss. It's hard for bands to seem enthusiastic about songs they have performed hundreds of times over the years, Yet the audience always expect and demand a freshness and enthusiasm to the performance that is hard to reproduce 'on demand'.

Admittedly when paying good money for cd's and tickets the fans can be somewhat justified, but it's a hard one to get right. James' singer is Tim Booth.



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2815
Date:
Permalink  
 

ArrGee wrote:

Morrissey last time out was pretty poor.  Lots of new sub-standard material, and a fairly dire rendition of This Charming Man at the end.  Most of the people checking their twitter accounts due to the impending riots, and my wife's umbrella was confiscated to boot.  She has vowed never to see him again unless he reforms The Smiths.  Shame is on the previous occasion we saw him, he was on top form and supported by The Libertines.

Probably seen a few other stinkers down the years, but so long ago I can barely remember.


 Grouchy old Morrissey would have something to say about people checking their twitter accounts while he sings, I betsmile.



__________________


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 7162
Date:
Permalink  
 

noelindublin wrote:
ArrGee wrote:

Morrissey last time out was pretty poor.  Lots of new sub-standard material, and a fairly dire rendition of This Charming Man at the end.  Most of the people checking their twitter accounts due to the impending riots, and my wife's umbrella was confiscated to boot.  She has vowed never to see him again unless he reforms The Smiths.  Shame is on the previous occasion we saw him, he was on top form and supported by The Libertines.

Probably seen a few other stinkers down the years, but so long ago I can barely remember.


 Grouchy old Morrissey would have something to say about people checking their twitter accounts while he sings, I betsmile.


He had something to say about the student riots which was the highlight of the evening.  I think it was the only time people cheered.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/65695/Morrissey-Speaks-About-London-Riots-Royal-Family-At-Brixton-Gig

Even before he came on stage he had everyone's umbrella confiscated,  had the worst support act ever opening affairs, and then "treated" us to a film including very graphic scenes from an abattoir.  Most of his songs were greeted with polite, but less than enthusiastic, applause.  He didn't seem to care at all.  I think he'd have been happy if everyone had to clear out because of events outside the Brixton Academy.

I had mostly forgotten the whole horror of the evening.  Thankfully, I stayed sober and drove home.

I'm certain he played This Charming Man, but for some idea on the set...

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/morrissey/2011/o2-academy-brixton-london-england-33d08cad.html



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


She's So Modern

Status: Offline
Posts: 18
Date:
Permalink  
 

MeatLoaf around mid 80's @Manchester Apollo,he came on stage around 9.pm and I was hailing a cab outside at half past,he was out of tune,out of sync and basically ****e,the support band was Strangeways who were absolutely awesome


__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2815
Date:
Permalink  
 

 One of the oddest line up of recent years was Madonna at Slane Castle,  in 2004, supported by Iggy Pop. Talk about chalk and cheese.Not sure if there is a big crossover Mags/Iggy audience, but I suspect not.



__________________


The Fine Art of Surfacing

Status: Offline
Posts: 717
Date:
Permalink  
 

I went to see thin lizzy at the hammersmith thingy venue and it we had seats right at the very fcuking back and the acoustics were NAF at the very back and there was this bloke who INSISTED in flipping singing along to EVERY SINGLE WORD of the song LOUDLY, but get this, right, HE SANG THE INSTRUMENTAL BITS TOO....... i growled throughout the performance as this bloke was stood right behind me......... at the end of the show, all i wanted to do was stick my fist in his face and i would of bloody well enjoyed it.

__________________
^^^^^Cool post as always Joan^^^^^^^^


The Fine Art of Surfacing

Status: Offline
Posts: 717
Date:
Permalink  
 

what a c*nt

i know i sing along to btr songs at their gigs but we're all nuts right at the front where you're supposed to be loud, why this annoying little b*astard didnt go down the front where noone could hear him i dont know.... oh but thats it isnt it? he actually wanted to sing loudly into somebody's earhole so he could be the star of the frigging show, he didnt actually want to be at the front with the others cos he wanted to hear only himself, he didnt care about thin lizzy he just wanted it to be the 'annoying wnaker show who everyone wants to punch' but thats it as well isnt it?? picks on a sweet passive looking middle aged woman who couldnt hurt a fly i.e. ME, to enjoyingly irritate the fcuk out of!

lol

__________________
^^^^^Cool post as always Joan^^^^^^^^
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard