Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: New U2 album free on iTunes


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6971
Date:
New U2 album free on iTunes
Permalink  
 


just get your iPad out and download.  There seems to be a lot of Rats like brackets (in the song titles).

U2 - Songs of Innocence - https://itun.es/i6gn8YK #iTune

 

 Name Time  
 The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone) 4:15  
 Every Breaking Wave 4:12  
 California (There Is No End to Love) 3:59  
 Song for Someone 3:46  
 Iris (Hold Me Close) 5:19  
 Volcano 3:14  
 Raised By Wolves 4:05  
 Cedarwood Road 4:25  
 Sleep Like a Baby Tonight 5:01  
 This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now 5:05  

 
The Troubles 4:45  
      


__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

Takes a whole to download. Listening now and loving it. I don't suppose others will feel the same

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6971
Date:
Permalink  
 

It's good for a free album. I'd never have bought it. Nothing too surprising, sounds exactly like what I'd have expected a U2 album to sound like.

__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

That's what I like. when Bono tried to do RAP it was awful. Hate rap anyway, but he was dreadful at it!!!

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

When I first listened I thought it was a collection of nice U2 songs, nothing earth shattering. When I got Cedarwood Road, the album came alive. That song is pretty outstanding.

On listening a few times the earlier tracks are gaining individuality and more depth. Cedarwood Road is still the best one for me.

Don't give up on it straightaway. Give it a chance.

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

Is this the album they were sending out to peoples phones for free whether they asked or not? Talk about arrogance. I've got an 'old fashioned' mobile that just makes calls and sends texts so thankfully avoided the imposition of this 'gift'.

Maybe someone could sue U2 for sending unwanted music to folks with more credible tastes?Another example of technology imposing on peoples lives. God be with the days when you could just go to the record shop and choose what you wanted, without all the various digital marketing people throwing in the tuppence worth of ideas on how to 'distribute' music.

As someone once said, what you get for nothing is usually worth nothing.smile 



__________________


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6971
Date:
Permalink  
 

noelindublin wrote:

Is this the album they were sending out to peoples phones for free whether they asked or not? Talk about arrogance. I've got an 'old fashioned' mobile that just makes calls and sends texts so thankfully avoided the imposition of this 'gift'.

Maybe someone could sue U2 for sending unwanted music to folks with more credible tastes?Another example of technology imposing on peoples lives. God be with the days when you could just go to the record shop and choose what you wanted, without all the various digital marketing people throwing in the tuppence worth of ideas on how to 'distribute' music.

As someone once said, what you get for nothing is usually worth nothing.smile 


I am all for bands sending me their latest albums for nowt.  Or even their old albums.    People are so bleeding miserable these days, can't even appreciate a gift.  

 

PS - That written, I just fcuking hope Phil Collins isn't planning a comeback.



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

It's in your iTunes library ready to download. If you don't want to you can ignore it. There were so many complaints instructions on how to delete have been made available.

I'm obviously very happy, being a U2 fan. Had it have been something which, in my opinion, was cr@p, I wouldn't complain. It's free, I'd listen then take if off or not put it onto my ipod.

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6971
Date:
Permalink  
 

Jules wrote:

Had it have been something which, in my opinion, was cr@p, I wouldn't complain. It's free, I'd listen then take if off or not put it onto my ipod.


 Unless it was Phil Collins.



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

I like Phil Collins . Yes, I have strange taste.

 

if it was rap, I wouldn't bother listening. 



-- Edited by Jules on Thursday 18th of September 2014 06:15:27 AM

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6971
Date:
Permalink  
 

Apparently U2 are going start charging people for the album now. Hope all the moaners are happy now

PS - You can still get it free until 13 October



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6971
Date:
Permalink  
 

noelindublin wrote:

As someone once said, what you get for nothing is usually worth nothing.smile 


Whoever said that doesn't have a Waitrose card.  I get a lovely latte every day and I don't have to buy anything else.  

And the free Evening Standard/Metro/City AM/Time Out/Shortlist/Sports mag I pick up at the train station are pretty good as well.



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6971
Date:
Permalink  
 

And this forum is free! I hope it is worth something to you all

__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

winkTechnically none of it is free. You have to pay for your broadband and the energy it uses to generate the internet and for you to receive it.



__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6971
Date:
Permalink  
 

Jules wrote:

winkTechnically none of it is free. You have to pay for your broadband and the energy it uses to generate the internet and for you to receive it.


 No you don't.  Stand outside Costa Coffee and surf for free. 



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

You bought the phone or device lol.

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6971
Date:
Permalink  
 

I have a free phone. Ok I had to get a 24 month contract, but I got that for calls anyway. Only £7/month with talk mobile. But the wifi is free, the phone is free and this forum is free. 

 



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


Mondo Bongo

Status: Offline
Posts: 826
Date:
Permalink  
 

ArrGee wrote:

And this forum is free! I hope it is worth something to you all


 It's absolutely priceless!  So thank you  Just reassuring that there are so many other nutters, sorry I meant fans, out there! biggrin



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

ArrGee wrote:
noelindublin wrote:

Is this the album they were sending out to peoples phones for free whether they asked or not? Talk about arrogance. I've got an 'old fashioned' mobile that just makes calls and sends texts so thankfully avoided the imposition of this 'gift'.

Maybe someone could sue U2 for sending unwanted music to folks with more credible tastes?Another example of technology imposing on peoples lives. God be with the days when you could just go to the record shop and choose what you wanted, without all the various digital marketing people throwing in the tuppence worth of ideas on how to 'distribute' music.

As someone once said, what you get for nothing is usually worth nothing.smile 


I am all for bands sending me their latest albums for nowt.  Or even their old albums.    People are so bleeding miserable these days, can't even appreciate a gift.  

 

PS - That written, I just fcuking hope Phil Collins isn't planning a comeback.


 Geldof from a recent interview with Irish Central newspaper in the US:

The truth is, very few people are interested in new music. Who wants to hear a new Rolling Stones music? Rock has been replaced by social media anyway. U2 is giving their stuff away online and thats what music has become.

What were your thoughts about how they released their new album?

I havent heard the album yet because my phone was made in 1932 and not made by Apple. U2 -- theyre my mates. You can bet iTunes had to pay them a bunch of money -- theyre too smart to give it away for free.

That said, its sad that a great band has to mass distribute their wares at the behest of a medium. The medium is the message. Its not important to get U2 -- its important to get an iPhone 6 to get it.



__________________


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

Who isn't interested in new music? I'm just listening to the new Leonard Cohen album. Bought without having heard a single track. More music please.... I took my free U2 album but won't be buying an iPhone 6 or even an iPhone 5.

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6971
Date:
Permalink  
 

noelindublin wrote:
"Its not important to get U2 -- its important to get an iPhone 6 to get it."
I ain't got an iPhone 6 , nor 5,4,3,2 nor 1.  All you have to do is set up an iTunes account and get it.  If Apple want to give  U2 a bag of cash for the privilege what do I care?  
"it's sad that a great band has to mass distribute their wares at the behest of a medium"
What the fcuk? How else do you distribute music except on a medium? As for Geldof and his "technophobia", hasn't he been behind umpteen websites?  I bet he has some fcuk off mobile phone and upgrades it every month.   Probably reading this free forum on it right now.

 

PS - I got four free Orient tickets from the local newspaper this morning.  Free is the new expenditure.



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

Free is the new black. Most people have devices now to play their music, what better way of getting them to listen to than give it away free.

Bob probably carries an old phone around with him to make it look as though he's doesn't have the latest iPhone 6 and other phones and devices.

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

Jules wrote:

Who isn't interested in new music? I'm just listening to the new Leonard Cohen album. Bought without having heard a single track. More music please.... I took my free U2 album but won't be buying an iPhone 6 or even an iPhone 5.


 Geldof can be infuriating at times. I read yesterday that David Bowie will have a new album out soon, his second in a few years. It seems the bigger the artist in credibility terms, the more they go for new work. Leonard Cohen will always have something to say, even in his advancing age.

Woody Allen is always making films, some good and some not so good. They are usually better than the mass of what you will find in the cinema.Woody usually hits the mark every so often, and like Cohen will always be worth listening to.

I would give the average rock fan a bit more credibility in thinking they are not always on a nostalgia trip, and are pretty open to their heroes latest works. But Geldof is right in suspecting that the golden age or rock and roll is over for good. The tech genie is out of the bottle and the days of huge album sales are over, at least in any physical format. 



__________________


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6971
Date:
Permalink  
 

Jules wrote:

Free is the new black. Most people have devices now to play their music, what better way of getting them to listen to than give it away free.


It will be near impossible for bands to sell recorded music in a few years time.  iTunes is suffering from declining sales thanks to Spotify, and with next to no record shops in the high street, soon the only place you will be able to buy a recording will be Oxfam when everyone dumps their old CDs/records.

Anyway, Bono's view....

No... let people have their say. Theyre the haters; were the lovers. Were never going to agree. People who would not normally be exposed to our music have got a chance to listen to it. Whether they hold that to their heart or not, we dont know.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/bono-hits-at-haters-of-itunes-album-launch-287997.html

 



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

Jules wrote:

Free is the new black. Most people have devices now to play their music, what better way of getting them to listen to than give it away free.

Bob probably carries an old phone around with him to make it look as though he's doesn't have the latest iPhone 6 and other phones and devices.


 Maybe they give it away for free to avoid the embarrassment of low sales. Not just U2 but most bands. It's a much trickier situation for new bands.



__________________


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6971
Date:
Permalink  
 

noelindublin wrote:
I would give the average rock fan a bit more credibility in thinking they are not always on a nostalgia trip, and are pretty open to their heroes latest works.
I'm not always on a nostalgia trip, but considering everything produced by the members of the Rats in all guises since 1985 I have pretty much given up on their latest works.
... the days of huge album sales are over, at least in any physical format. 

 To contradict my argument, Adele sold over 30 million copies of her last album. 



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

ArrGee wrote:
Jules wrote:

Free is the new black. Most people have devices now to play their music, what better way of getting them to listen to than give it away free.


It will be near impossible for bands to sell recorded music in a few years time.  iTunes is suffering from declining sales thanks to Spotify, and with next to no record shops in the high street, soon the only place you will be able to buy a recording will be Oxfam when everyone dumps their old CDs/records.

Anyway, Bono's view....

No... let people have their say. Theyre the haters; were the lovers. Were never going to agree. People who would not normally be exposed to our music have got a chance to listen to it. Whether they hold that to their heart or not, we dont know.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/bono-hits-at-haters-of-itunes-album-launch-287997.html

 


 Jesus wept. Are there people who are 'not normally exposed' to U2. The seem to be on the radio in Ireland, at any rate, almost every 5 minutes. Thank God for Radio 4 and speech radio in general.

Lots of people dislike U2. You don't have to any sort of music expert to figure that out. They seem like a big music corporation trying to get their fingers in every pie. I just ignore them.



__________________


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6971
Date:
Permalink  
 

noelindublin wrote:

 Jesus wept. Are there people who are 'not normally exposed' to U2. The seem to be on the radio in Ireland, at any rate, almost every 5 minutes. Thank God for Radio 4 and speech radio in general.


I agree you never stop hearing them in Ireland, but U2 aren't played that much on the radio in Britain.  I suspect that whilst many people might have heard of Bono there are probably large numbers of twenty somethings, particularly those with iPhones/iPads who have never heard U2.  Sure everyone under thirty has heard of Bob Geldof, but none of them have ever heard The Boomtown Rats.



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

Not all under thirties have heard of Geldof. Really.

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6971
Date:
Permalink  
 

Jules wrote:

Not all under thirties have heard of Geldof. Really.


 They probably have via his daughters.   Bono and Geldof elicit a lot of opinion but not necessarily on their music.



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

Statement from Bono about why it's free:
www.rttnews.com/2386570/u2-s-bono-explains-why-their-new-album-is-free.aspx

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

Jules wrote:

Statement from Bono about why it's free:
www.rttnews.com/2386570/u2-s-bono-explains-why-their-new-album-is-free.aspx


 For some of us a new U2 album is about as welcome an an outbreak of ebola.smile



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2538
Date:
Permalink  
 

Lisa wrote:
ArrGee wrote:

And this forum is free! I hope it is worth something to you all


 It's absolutely priceless!  So thank you  Just reassuring that there are so many other nutters, sorry I meant fans, out there! biggrin


 Hear hear! I thoroughly enjoy this forum and thank anyone who burns up even one calorie to make it work, either as an end user or further back in the process. 

As for U2, I wouldn't expend one calorie to listen to anything they've ever done.



__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard