Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: Follow Your Convictions


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6923
Date:
Follow Your Convictions
Permalink  
 


 

and buy this fcuking watch!

harrods-watches-fine-jewellery-27-728.jpg?cb=1318933249

 

Personally I perfer Oris

 



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

This has been around a while. Someone's Watching You...

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

i like the ad he did for the Milk Board in the '8O's. Geldof is out jogging and then is stopped by a guy on a milk float, offering a pint of milk, as he finishes his run.

I'm a lifelong jogger/runner so was amused at Geldof's painful efforts to run a few yards down the street in the ad.Better milk than posh watches.smile



-- Edited by noelindublin on Thursday 12th of November 2015 03:56:37 PM

__________________


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

His dog had a part in the milk ad, I liked that.

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

Two milk ads, here's the one featuring the cute Growler

youtu.be/kEDg4xb2fSU

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

Growler featured in the running one too:

youtu.be/zblGk69is64

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

Wilkinson's Sword ad from 2012:

youtu.be/TJvVhECowto

I actually remembered the milk ones better, despite being older.

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

He has quite a repertoire of ads to his name. The Kleenex ad didn't seem to be around for very long and he only featured in it for for a few seconds, having a giggling fit:

youtu.be/u4WYYUzld5Y

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1316
Date:
Permalink  
 

Yeah he is keeping in time Just like clockwork

__________________


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

Tick tock

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

Jules wrote:

Wilkinson's Sword ad from 2012:

youtu.be/TJvVhECowto

I actually remembered the milk ones better, despite being older.


 That Wilkinson sword ad is from the mid  or late eighties. I used to shave with them and the razor seems a bit primitive to modern eyes.

Some good ads there- selling mllk and razor blades is relatively harmless compared to the watch ads which are all about perceived social status and dubious sophistication. Pretentious also in using the french word horlage instead of watch.



-- Edited by noelindublin on Friday 13th of November 2015 01:19:00 PM

__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

Jules wrote:

Growler featured in the running one too:

youtu.be/zblGk69is64


 Growler Geldof. Maybe Gerry Cott thought him some tricks?smile



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2772
Date:
Permalink  
 

This is from an Australian telecoms ad....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai8prntxc9c



__________________


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

noelindublin wrote:
Jules wrote:

Growler featured in the running one too:

youtu.be/zblGk69is64


 Growler Geldof. Maybe Gerry Cott thought him some tricks?

 

the watch one is wrong on many levels  Stick with the every day stuff please.  Pretentious, unaffordable and unnecessary    

 



__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6923
Date:
Permalink  
 

Jules wrote:

the watch one is wrong on many levels  Stick with the every day stuff please.  Pretentious, unaffordable and unnecessary    

 


I wouldn't say they are unaffordable.  They typically range from £500 - £4000.  Which is what you might pay for a special gift.  However, they just aren't worth it.  Anyone who pays £500-£1000 for a quartz watch needs their head examined.  

Far better watches available for less, and of course more!  To put the price into perspective Rolexes generally start at £4,000 and can cost as much as £50,000.  



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

Depends who you are, I couldn't afford a watch which costs £500!!!

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

You could if the Rats and BG didn't keep tempting you to far flung towns but whether you would choose to buy is another matter entirely.....



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Online
Posts: 2508
Date:
Permalink  
 

I'm hooked to the mainstream - only ever bought Casios and Seikos for less than £100. Oftentimes now, I don't bother as my phone tells me the time.



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Online
Posts: 2508
Date:
Permalink  
 

manatthetop wrote:

Yeah he is keeping in time Just like clockwork


 He Watches It All



__________________


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

suss wrote:

You could if the Rats and BG didn't keep tempting you to far flung towns but whether you would choose to buy is another matter entirely.....


 This is true. Far flung such as Cork and Dublin.

 

No I wouldn't. My watch cost me £15 biggrinbiggrin.



__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

Watch out (of reach) for the Normal People?



__________________


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

suss wrote:

Watch out (of reach) for the Normal People?


 Spot on biggrinbiggrin



__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

A precious time (piece).

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

A precious time (piece).

oops did that twice and can't delete my own post. It's not THAT funny. Sorry. hmm



-- Edited by Jules on Friday 13th of November 2015 08:53:42 PM

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6923
Date:
Permalink  
 

suss wrote:

... whether you would choose to buy is another matter entirely.....


Exactly.  I don't really have a car, unless you count an old un-taxed/un-insured Fiat Panda with a flat battery on the drive that I am keeping until my son is 17. But I do have a couple of nice watches; one was a present, the other 50% off in sale.  One needs repairing, and that will cost over £100.

I dread to think how many thousands of pounds I spent on CDs and DVDs (many unlistened and unwatched), would have been better off buying another nice watch with that ca$h.

Just a matter of priorities.  



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

I have to drive for work, so have a shared car with Mr Jules. I bought the first CD last week for a very long time, the last one would have been the Rats CD/DVD. It was the Radiators from Space .

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6923
Date:
Permalink  
 

suss wrote:

You could if the Rats and BG didn't keep tempting you to far flung towns ...


I guess that if I added up all the associated costs of records, gigs, books, travel, T shirts, programmes etc.  I have probably spent well over a couple of grand down the years on the Rats/Geldof.  And I am a lightweight in comparison to others...



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


Loudmouth

Status: Online
Posts: 2508
Date:
Permalink  
 

ArrGee wrote:
suss wrote:

... whether you would choose to buy is another matter entirely.....


Exactly.  I don't really have a car, unless you count an old un-taxed/un-insured Fiat Panda with a flat battery on the drive that I am keeping until my son is 17. But I do have a couple of nice watches; one was a present, the other 50% off in sale.  One needs repairing, and that will cost over £100.

I dread to think how many thousands of pounds I spent on CDs and DVDs (many unlistened and unwatched), would have been better off buying another nice watch with that ca$h.

Just a matter of priorities.  


The Fiat Panda is a rather good car, especially the 4 x 4. My first car was a Fiat 131 (Supermirafiori) bought in 1984 for £700 and sold 10 months later in 1985 for £750. Given that Skodas and Fiats were the universal butt of jokes at the time, it is ironic that was the only car I, or anyone else I've ever known, ever made money on and I'm still not sure how I did it!

I also think the same of the CDs I've bought over the years, together with cassette tapes and vhs tapes. I imagine myself one day photographing them and listing them on eBay or whatever and supplementing my old age from it all, but I probably will struggle to get it out of the loft when the time comes and it will just keep gathering dust.

My Rats CDs never gather dust though.



__________________


V Deep

Status: Offline
Posts: 905
Date:
Permalink  
 

I have seen that watch advert here in Denmark,god knows how much that watch cost.

__________________


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

Derek The Dane wrote:

I have seen that watch advert here in Denmark,god knows how much that watch cost.


 A million copies of some rare Rats piece for you, probably wink. Talking of priorities smilesmilesmile



__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6923
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:
ArrGee wrote:
suss wrote:

... whether you would choose to buy is another matter entirely.....


Exactly.  I don't really have a car, unless you count an old un-taxed/un-insured Fiat Panda with a flat battery on the drive that I am keeping until my son is 17. But I do have a couple of nice watches; one was a present, the other 50% off in sale.  One needs repairing, and that will cost over £100.

I dread to think how many thousands of pounds I spent on CDs and DVDs (many unlistened and unwatched), would have been better off buying another nice watch with that ca$h.

Just a matter of priorities.  


The Fiat Panda is a rather good car, especially the 4 x 4. My first car was a Fiat 131 (Supermirafiori) bought in 1984 for £700 and sold 10 months later in 1985 for £750. Given that Skodas and Fiats were the universal butt of jokes at the time, it is ironic that was the only car I, or anyone else I've ever known, ever made money on and I'm still not sure how I did it!

I also think the same of the CDs I've bought over the years, together with cassette tapes and vhs tapes. I imagine myself one day photographing them and listing them on eBay or whatever and supplementing my old age from it all, but I probably will struggle to get it out of the loft when the time comes and it will just keep gathering dust.

My Rats CDs never gather dust though.


The Panda is the best car we ever had.  Park it anywhere, it's just my son is now 6' 4" and as Mrs. ArrGee and myself are quite tall, we don't fit into it, so Mrs. ArrGee got a bigger car.  I drive it from time to time, but truth be told I don't need a car as I get public transport to work.  

Waste of time selling CDs.  You'd spend more on postage than they are worth.  My plan is to bring them to Oxfam once I rip them all and get a gift aid tax credit.  My Rats CDs have been ripped and now are on just 2 MP3 CDs which are in the car.  I play the LPs every now and again, but don't bother with the CDs.  Beside Rats CDs haven't been around that long.  Before 2005 there were hardly any.  I think my first CD was Deep in the Heart of Nowhere in 1986.  Only reason I played it was I hardly had any back then...



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

eBay is taking bigger and bigger cuts from sales. Hardly worth selling anything on there now.

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6923
Date:
Permalink  
 

Jules wrote:

eBay is taking bigger and bigger cuts from sales. Hardly worth selling anything on there now.


It's great for buying things though. I got the Rats first LP for £1 including postage not so long ago. Get lots of bits and bobs like light bulbs, window insulating tape etc. for the postage cost.  Would cost me a lot more to pay for the fare to the shops.

Tempted by this, but must resist...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LP-ALBUM-THE-BOOMTOWN-RATS-S-T-THE-BOOMTOWN-RATS-JAPAN-OBI-/291596265489?hash=item43e47de811:g:TMsAAOSw9mFWKPX6



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6923
Date:
Permalink  
 

I did bid, but instantly outbid, better leave it...

__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

I'm still buying from eBay. Some good stuff on there. Bidding can be mad, some people get carried away and pay more than you'd get it from the high street. No point!!

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

ArrGee wrote:

I did bid, but instantly outbid, better leave it...


Maybe you and Derek should message each other and come to an arrangement?  



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:
Permalink  
 

ArrGee wrote:
suss wrote:

You could if the Rats and BG didn't keep tempting you to far flung towns ...


I guess that if I added up all the associated costs of records, gigs, books, travel, T shirts, programmes etc.  I have probably spent well over a couple of grand down the years on the Rats/Geldof.  And I am a lightweight in comparison to others...


 Think what we've spent on football down the years - that'll soften the blow. And at least with Rats you get a good performance every time.

Dread to think what both add up to.....



__________________


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6923
Date:
Permalink  
 

suss wrote:
ArrGee wrote:
suss wrote:

You could if the Rats and BG didn't keep tempting you to far flung towns ...


I guess that if I added up all the associated costs of records, gigs, books, travel, T shirts, programmes etc.  I have probably spent well over a couple of grand down the years on the Rats/Geldof.  And I am a lightweight in comparison to others...


 Think what we've spent on football down the years - that'll soften the blow. And at least with Rats you get a good performance every time.

Dread to think what both add up to.....


Football 1978 - present;  must be in the £20K ballpark on tickets alone.  And probably another £10k on sky, shirts, books, videos etc.  I won't count the beer money as I would spend that regardless

The Rats were pretty cheap from 1986-2004.  Four Geldof CDs and a few singles didn't cost that much.



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


Loudmouth

Status: Online
Posts: 2508
Date:
Permalink  
 

Don't forget the 1994 burst of activity with Loudmouth and the rerelease of Mondays. That must have cost me all of £20.



__________________


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6923
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:

Don't forget the 1994 burst of activity with Loudmouth and the rerelease of Mondays. That must have cost me all of £20.


Oh yeah, forgot them, though the double CD + white vinyl single did for me.   I didn't buy Loudmouth,Happy Club nor SAD until they hit the bargain bins.    Even including the singles, doubt I spent more than £50 in that period.  



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


Loudmouth

Status: Online
Posts: 2508
Date:
Permalink  
 

ArrGee wrote:
Mark L wrote:

Don't forget the 1994 burst of activity with Loudmouth and the rerelease of Mondays. That must have cost me all of £20.


Oh yeah, forgot them, though the double CD + white vinyl single did for me.   I didn't buy Loudmouth,Happy Club nor SAD until they hit the bargain bins.    Even including the singles, doubt I spent more than £50 in that period.  


 How long did Loudmouth take to hit the bargain bins? Given the insanity of dumping Trapped in 1985,  I couldn't wait to get a greatest hits CD from the Rats and nor could many others judging by the Top Ten position it held for a number of weeks.

You must have the patience of a saint.



__________________


The biggest Geldof fan in the world, bar none!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6377
Date:
Permalink  
 

If I added up all I spent on BG/Rats, I'd have to include all the money I spent glint Rome for nowt. Forget that!!

__________________
Love Julesxxx
Bob's personal Hippy Angel - well in my dreams ;-)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=709427348&ref=profile
http://www.facebook.com/BobGeldofFans


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6923
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:

How long did Loudmouth take to hit the bargain bins? Given the insanity of dumping Trapped in 1985,  I couldn't wait to get a greatest hits CD from the Rats and nor could many others judging by the Top Ten position it held for a number of weeks.

You must have the patience of a saint.


I don't know how long, but a while.  Given Rat Trap, Someone's Looking, Mary, #1, Banana Republic and She's So Modern were on the CD singles along with Mondays twice, that was 7 tracks instantly got.   And in the case of #1 it hadn't been on CD previously. Crazy was released as a single and I had the three Geldof albums on CD.

So there were only four other Rats songs and it didn't seem worthwhile paying for them, especially as I had them on CD and LP on US/UK Tonic (CD 1989/1992), US Surfacing (1986), US Mondo (1990), UK V Deep (1986).  

I had forgotten I must have bought those between 1986 and 1994.

So probably that ups my Rats spend to about £100 between 1986 and 2004...  (probably some more things I haven't accounted for)

Also, I tend not to buy hits albums unless it is an artist I don't have any other albums of.   I got Snap! by The  Jam  because by and large they didn't put their singles on albums, but that is a bit of an exception.    A Rats compilation has little appeal to me for the simple reason I have all the songs, but somehow I do have them all via bargain bins and cheap sales on Amazon/eBay.  Even So Modern as previously discussed...



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


Loudmouth

Status: Online
Posts: 2508
Date:
Permalink  
 

The physical product,  with its artwork, information booklet and the 'all the main hits in one place' factor,  meant this was a must have purchase that I was not content to leave until the attraction of the lower prices of the bargain bin. A week in Gran Canaria beckoned and with no I pods / phones / mp3 's  in 1994,  the personal cd player would have felt very isolated without a Loudmouth travelling companion. 



__________________


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6923
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:

... the personal cd player ...


As CD Player fine, but should you actually decide to move. I did try using the CD player in the car with the cassette with wires, but that didn't work very well.

I ended up with mine plugged into my WEM amp to play along with on the guitar to annoy the neighbours   

Pretty sure I still used tapes around then, cos I remember losing a prized Dr. Feelgood tape on the way to San Francisco and listening to a Suede tape in the hire car.   The Panda we got in 2004 had a tape player rather than a CD player.  I did replace it after a few years with a CD/DAB unit which is probably worth more than the car now!

 

 



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


Loudmouth

Status: Online
Posts: 2508
Date:
Permalink  
 

ArrGee wrote:
Mark L wrote:

... the personal cd player ...


As CD Player fine, but should you actually decide to move. I did try using the CD player in the car with the cassette with wires, but that didn't work very well.

I ended up with mine plugged into my WEM amp to play along with on the guitar to annoy the neighbours   

Pretty sure I still used tapes around then, cos I remember losing a prized Dr. Feelgood tape on the way to San Francisco and listening to a Suede tape in the hire car.   The Panda we got in 2004 had a tape player rather than a CD player.  I did replace it after a few years with a CD/DAB unit which is probably worth more than the car now!

 

 


 That was the issue despite all the 'anti-shock' spin (forgive the pun). I bought one off Amazon recently for £32 and it's a big improvement. Made by AEG, it received four and a half stars over a fair number of reviews which seems a sensible yardstick to me to try to judge anything off there. I have a similar approach on Tripadvisor with their green bullet point system.

 



__________________


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 6923
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:
I bought one off Amazon recently for £32 and it's a big improvement. 

They still make them?   I would have thought they'd be obsolete.

But then again, Argos still sell cassette walkmans...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3465381.htm

... in my perverse retro way, I am tempted to get one, but then I'd have to find my tapes.



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


Loudmouth

Status: Online
Posts: 2508
Date:
Permalink  
 

ArrGee wrote:
Mark L wrote:
I bought one off Amazon recently for £32 and it's a big improvement. 

They still make them?   I would have thought they'd be obsolete.

But then again, Argos still sell cassette walkmans...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3465381.htm

... in my perverse retro way, I am tempted to get one, but then I'd have to find my tapes.


 

You can't go wrong for the price? Good for flights, train trips, holidays etc

See my other post, I have liberated hundreds of tapes for conversion to CD.



__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard