Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: No Tomorrow Like Today reviews


Dave

Status: Offline
Posts: 403
Date:
No Tomorrow Like Today reviews
Permalink  
 


Haven't heard it but two differing opinions on Facebook.

One guy says it's really good, like 1978 Rats, Costello/New York Dolls influences/sound. Incidentally Pete Briquette concurs with this in reply to poster.

Guy 2 says it's good, but no way as good as Trash Glam Baby. My take is that everyone has their own idea of what constitutes a good song.

Not sure how I'm gonna hear it as have no record player and have not ordered it online



__________________


House on Fire

Status: Offline
Posts: 185
Date:
Permalink  
 

I love it, from the first couple of seconds i felt this was a trip back in time to early Rats. Have to admit i am still struggling with TGB (i know, probably the only one!). The b side gives me great hope for the new album.

__________________


Dave

Status: Offline
Posts: 403
Date:
Permalink  
 

Ian D wrote:

I love it, from the first couple of seconds i felt this was a trip back in time to early Rats. Have to admit i am still struggling with TGB (i know, probably the only one!). The b side gives me great hope for the new album.


 Wow, sounds like I might like it too. I'm struggling a bit with TGB also. It's far from a Rats classic, more mediocre than I would have hoped for. Then again it's amazing and very interesting how people judge or 'interpret' song.

A well known contributor on this forum is another naysayer but he can be hard to please at the best of times.smile

You're in agreement with Steve on Facebook who basically said that if No Tomorrow like Today was omitted then the songs that make the final cut must be very good (except Boomtown Rats)

Thanks for letting us know your thoughts on the song Ian.



__________________


V Deep

Status: Offline
Posts: 943
Date:
Permalink  
 

Haven't heard the b side yet single come today will play later but in my eyes trash glam is a fab track we are lucky to get some new material I never thought it would happen but it is and we need to embrace it their worst songs are better than a lot of the rubbish out here so I'm happy that that are still around



__________________


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 7163
Date:
Permalink  
 

Noel wrote:
A well known contributor on this forum is another naysayer but he can be hard to please at the best of times.smile

Who's that?

I am pretty easily pleased, I would say I like about 90% of everything the Rats ever recorded.   Just none of the last 5 recordings I have heard  



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


V Deep

Status: Offline
Posts: 943
Date:
Permalink  
 

I luv 4out of the last 5 recordings only ratified I don't like as much but as I said earlier turn on radio and there's so !ugh new junk being played I can't remember other than a couple of albums from last year that I even bothered to listen to

__________________


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 7163
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mike menzies wrote:

...turn on radio and there's so !ugh new junk being played I can't remember other than a couple of albums from last year that I even bothered to listen to


Don't turn on the radio!   

Only music radio stations I listen to are all pretty retro.  Radio X, occasionally BBC Radio 2, or Magic if Mrs. ArrGee puts it on in the car.  Occasionally listen to BBC Radio 6, BBC Radio 3 and Classic FM, but that is it apart from talk radio.

I couldn't say if new music was good, bad or indifferent.  I haven't heard it.  Last LP I bought was by The Who.

I did take a look at top 100 and only song I know is Shotgun which is a couple of years old!   Well, unless there are covers of Physical, My Oh My, Roxanne, Birthday, Memories, Perfect and Pump It Up in the top 50!



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


Dave

Status: Offline
Posts: 403
Date:
Permalink  
 

ArrGee wrote:
Noel wrote:
A well known contributor on this forum is another naysayer but he can be hard to please at the best of times.smile

Who's that?

I am pretty easily pleased, I would say I like about 90% of everything the Rats ever recorded.   Just none of the last 5 recordings I have heard  


 Fair enough. I probably like 95% of their output,  but not Ratlife and TGB is no classic in my opinion. Eager to hear about b-side as it is the second song from the COB cycle of songs to be released.



__________________


Dave

Status: Offline
Posts: 403
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mike menzies wrote:

Haven't heard the b side yet single come today will play later but in my eyes trash glam is a fab track we are lucky to get some new material I never thought it would happen but it is and we need to embrace it their worst songs are better than a lot of the rubbish out here so I'm happy that that are still around


 Let us know when you hear it Mike.



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2622
Date:
Permalink  
 

ArrGee wrote:
Mike menzies wrote:

...turn on radio and there's so !ugh new junk being played I can't remember other than a couple of albums from last year that I even bothered to listen to


Don't turn on the radio!   

Only music radio stations I listen to are all pretty retro.  Radio X, occasionally BBC Radio 2, or Magic if Mrs. ArrGee puts it on in the car.  Occasionally listen to BBC Radio 6, BBC Radio 3 and Classic FM, but that is it apart from talk radio.

I couldn't say if new music was good, bad or indifferent.  I haven't heard it.  Last LP I bought was by The Who.

I did take a look at top 100 and only song I know is Shotgun which is a couple of years old!   Well, unless there are covers of Physical, My Oh My, Roxanne, Birthday, Memories, Perfect and Pump It Up in the top 50!


 Also very retro in my choice of radio stations, made easy at home by having Internet radio. Absolute 70s and Union Jack are two favourites.

Little interest too in latest releases (TGB excepted of course) but did buy Staying at Tamara's by George Ezra in a rare outbreak of new music interest!

I bought a Teac system with turntable a year or two back, so relented and ordered the vinyl version of TGB to justify this purchase! Will share opinion fwiw when it arrives. 



__________________


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 7163
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote: 
Little interest too in latest releases (TGB excepted of course) but did buy Staying at Tamara's by George Ezra in a rare outbreak of new music interest!

I bought a Teac system with turntable a year or two back, so relented and ordered the vinyl version of TGB to justify this purchase! Will share opinion fwiw when it arrives. 


 I quite like George Ezra even if I haven't got around to buying anything of his.

Can't justify £12 for a B-side. Won't even spend £8 for a Bowie 7" picture disc with unreleased tracks.



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


I Don't Like Mondays

Status: Offline
Posts: 48
Date:
Permalink  
 

I haven't been able to get my hands on a copy yet, but what i've seen, I trust No Tomorrow Like Today is pretty good. Wonder if anyone can upload it sometime, eh?



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2622
Date:
Permalink  
 

ArrGee wrote:
Mark L wrote: 
Little interest too in latest releases (TGB excepted of course) but did buy Staying at Tamara's by George Ezra in a rare outbreak of new music interest!

I bought a Teac system with turntable a year or two back, so relented and ordered the vinyl version of TGB to justify this purchase! Will share opinion fwiw when it arrives. 


 I quite like George Ezra even if I haven't got around to buying anything of his.

Can't justify £12 for a B-side. Won't even spend £8 for a Bowie 7" picture disc with unreleased tracks.


 I know what you mean, but increasingly these days I relent on initially refusing to spend money on treats (one hopes) like this as the old adage 'you can't take it with you' keeps popping into my head. It's a by product of getting older and seeing the 'joys' that that can bring. 



__________________


V Deep

Status: Offline
Posts: 943
Date:
Permalink  
 

Just listened to this on vinyl absolutely fab b side in the veins of lying again and so strange etc. Classic rats great tracks both a &eb sides are fab just looking forward to album now

__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2622
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mike menzies wrote:

Just listened to this on vinyl absolutely fab b side in the veins of lying again and so strange etc. Classic rats great tracks both a &eb sides are fab just looking forward to album now


 Looking forward to mine arriving like today, or if no tomorrow no



__________________


V Deep

Status: Offline
Posts: 943
Date:
Permalink  
 

I don't think you'll be disappointed as it seems back to the classic rats days I bought 2copies 1 to play and 1for collection great times are back again

__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2622
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mike menzies wrote:

I don't think you'll be disappointed as it seems back to the classic rats days I bought 2copies 1 to play and 1for collection great times are back again


 So strange to think the good times are back, you're not lying again no



__________________


V Deep

Status: Offline
Posts: 943
Date:
Permalink  
 

You could say it's all the rage

__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2622
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mike menzies wrote:

You could say it's all the rage


 Ha ha 



__________________


V Deep

Status: Offline
Posts: 943
Date:
Permalink  
 

These are precious times (oh sorry I'm at it again) and there have been hard times but getting better

__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1317
Date:
Permalink  
 

Your Lucky



__________________


Dave

Status: Offline
Posts: 403
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mike menzies wrote:

Just listened to this on vinyl absolutely fab b side in the veins of lying again and so strange etc. Classic rats great tracks both a &eb sides are fab just looking forward to album now


 Thanks for the review Mike. Glad to hear you think the b-side is good and harks back to Rats old sound. Just wish I could buy the bloody song online. Who knows maybe they will put it out as a digital download.



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1317
Date:
Permalink  
 

All biss got my single today. 1 st rats single I have bought since a hold of me. Only thing is I'm working in Birmingham this week and next week so roll on until I get home to Belfast



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2622
Date:
Permalink  
 

manatthetop wrote:

All biss got my single today. 1 st rats single I have bought since a hold of me. Only thing is I'm working in Birmingham this week and next week so roll on until I get home to Belfast


 35 years since A Hold of Me was released and the Rats played Birmingham Odeon, 5 minute walk from where I worked. I went after work with a mate who caught the train in from Wolverhampton. Where did the last 35 years go?

You could ask your son to play it down the phone to you?! 



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1317
Date:
Permalink  
 

Could do. I see the Rats are playing B/ Ham 15 th 4/20 might get my work to get me over that week. They have me staying In a place called Solihull? premier inn. Does anyone know if the single comes in 12 ins or am i abit behind the times



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2622
Date:
Permalink  
 

I don't think there is a 12inch.

Solihull is south of Birmingham, the posh part lol 



__________________


Dave

Status: Offline
Posts: 403
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:

I don't think there is a 12inch.

Solihull is south of Birmingham, the posh part lol 


 Did you get your copy yet Mark? Let us know what you think of the b side when you do. Good chance Monkeys will be next single. Irish comedian David Mcsavage appears in a video filmed for the song. This is according to his podcast featuring an hour long interview with Bob Geldof.  Also says it is a fantastic song though haven't heard it.

Podcast is on BG Facebook, on which he recalls school, living in London pre Rats fame. Recommended listening.



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2622
Date:
Permalink  
 

Noel wrote:
Mark L wrote:

I don't think there is a 12inch.

Solihull is south of Birmingham, the posh part lol 


 Did you get your copy yet Mark? Let us know what you think of the b side when you do. Good chance Monkeys will be next single. Irish comedian David Mcsavage appears in a video filmed for the song. This is according to his podcast featuring an hour long interview with Bob Geldof.  Also says it is a fantastic song though haven't heard it.

Podcast is on BG Facebook, on which he recalls school, living in London pre Rats fame. Recommended listening.


 Not yet, Noel. Hoping it will arrive today. 



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2622
Date:
Permalink  
 

Looked into this. On the order form, it suggests because I ordered other items not due to be released until 13/03, they are delaying dispatch of the single until then! I have raised a complaint, as it clearly states elsewhere if the item is in stock it will be posted out the day after the order was made. 



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2622
Date:
Permalink  
 

Josh at TM Stores has upheld the complaint and is posting TGB vinyl out ASAP. 



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1317
Date:
Permalink  
 

Is it just me. Or is there abit of Hotel 75 going on here with this B side



__________________


Dave

Status: Offline
Posts: 403
Date:
Permalink  
 

manatthetop wrote:

Is it just me. Or is there abit of Hotel 75 going on here with this B side


 Possibility. I've only sent away for the record on Friday so should have it soon.

I did get to hear an mp3 of the song 'through the grapevine 'but sound quality was pretty ropey. Overall it sounds more like Rats of old but I'd need to hear it in proper sound fidelity to make a judgement. The mp3 was pretty distorted and more like a bad live bootleg, but greatfully received.smile

One thing I  seemed to notice is that the chorus 'theres no Tomorrow like today..' seemed to be used a lot. Didn't exactly remind me of any particular Rats song, just the overall feel of the song felt a bit more familiar than TGB or The Boomtown Rats.



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2622
Date:
Permalink  
 

Some of the lyrics are hard to pick up, but beg, steal and borrow is in there together with prevaricate, prognosticate and procrastinate! Wonder if they'll appear on FB?

Noel?! 



__________________


Dave

Status: Offline
Posts: 403
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:

Some of the lyrics are hard to pick up, but beg, steal and borrow is in there together with prevaricate, prognosticate and procrastinate! Wonder if they'll appear on FB?

Noel?! 


 Haven't got the record yet, nevermind sourcing something to play it on!

Maybe they'll be published in Tales of Boomtown Glory. I doubt they'll be put up on Facebook. Bob does not proactively engage in FB, even to get his message or work across. 



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2622
Date:
Permalink  
 

Class lyrics :

They might put me on a charge, but I'd get off with justifiable cause 

Coz no jury would convict me, saying yeah he's strictly guilty 

Unanimously, he's gonna walk free, coz we are the same

There's a whole world waiting out there for us babe 

I don't know what we're meant to do

But I've got a hunch or clue 

It involves me and you 

You need to take the longer view 



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2622
Date:
Permalink  
 

Compare and contrast:

Hotel 75

No one fights, friend or foe 

When you talk, you talk low 

It's another world and don't you know.....

 

No tomorrow like today 

 

But I've got a hunch or clue 

It involves me and you 

You need to take the longer view



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2622
Date:
Permalink  
 

And as I'm such a fan of Hotel 75, I am well happy with the similarities!

 



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2622
Date:
Permalink  
 

Noel wrote:
Mark L wrote:

Some of the lyrics are hard to pick up, but beg, steal and borrow is in there together with prevaricate, prognosticate and procrastinate! Wonder if they'll appear on FB?

Noel?! 


 Haven't got the record yet, nevermind sourcing something to play it on!

Maybe they'll be published in Tales of Boomtown Glory. I doubt they'll be put up on Facebook. Bob does not proactively engage in FB, even to get his message or work across. 


 Let's hope so. I'm struggling with some of them. Don't want to wait like we did for parts of All the Rage! 



__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2622
Date:
Permalink  
 

manatthetop wrote:

Is it just me. Or is there abit of Hotel 75 going on here with this B side


 Agree, just a bit. But a lovely bit! 



__________________


In the Long Grass

Status: Offline
Posts: 1317
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:

And as I'm such a fan of Hotel 75, I am well happy with the similarities!

 


 Agree with you 100 per cent here. Love this song anyway



__________________


V Deep

Status: Offline
Posts: 943
Date:
Permalink  
 

Love this b side also trash glam sounds great on vinyl it seems crisper than the downloaded MP3 that's just my opinion only 12 days to go till citizens icant wait

__________________


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2622
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mike menzies wrote:

Love this b side also trash glam sounds great on vinyl it seems crisper than the downloaded MP3 that's just my opinion only 12 days to go till citizens icant wait


 Have to say that No Tomorrow Like Today is the best of the current songs /clips I've heard. It jaunts along with catchy lyrics, swooping harmonies and hooks aplenty. Geldof doesn't pause for breath, making picking up all the lyrics a bit tricky. It's a classic Rats b side, evoking memories of most of them up to and including Real Different. 



__________________


V Deep

Status: Offline
Posts: 943
Date:
Permalink  
 

The more I play this track the more I love it and of course tgb also playing old stuff still sounds fresh especially on vinyl I think this album will be fab Even when rats compilation albums get released re. They seem to get a new lease of life we are lucky to have a new rats lp in the pipeline more stuff for our ears to listen to as I've said numerous times(I know I keep on ) but that's my prerogative and I'm happy with what's coming from the rats

__________________


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 7163
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:

Have to say that No Tomorrow Like Today is the best of the current songs /clips I've heard. It jaunts along with catchy lyrics, swooping harmonies and hooks aplenty. Geldof doesn't pause for breath, making picking up all the lyrics a bit tricky. It's a classic Rats b side, evoking memories of most of them up to and including Real Different. 


 It's a Rats B-side for sure.  Classic, not so sure.  Listened to it a few times, but can barely remember it now.  It does remind me of other B sides.  I also found Geldof's voice a bit wearing on me.  I know he was never the greatest singer, but he seems a lot worse on this. Still it is better than most other new material I have heard from the Rats this century. Back To Boomtown is improving by comparison every time I hear a new track



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


Loudmouth

Status: Offline
Posts: 2622
Date:
Permalink  
 

Shame you're not that impressed. I'm with Ian, Mike, manatthetop and others who really love this. 



__________________


V Deep

Status: Offline
Posts: 943
Date:
Permalink  
 

I luv this b side I also luv most of the rats songs they are all different but that's my choice what music I luv and I make no excuses for that roll on tomorrow for the best album of 2020

__________________


Back To Boomtown

Status: Offline
Posts: 7163
Date:
Permalink  
 

Mark L wrote:

Shame you're not that impressed. I'm with Ian, Mike, manatthetop and others who really love this. 


I am in the Noel camp

Well just 8 hours to go now.  



__________________

 What is this bloke talking about? 


Never In A Million Years

Status: Offline
Posts: 94
Date:
Permalink  
 

Hi, is there any chance this track is available online? I'd love to hear it. I've ordered the full album vinyl and the CD. I'm listening to it on Spotify but I can't hear this B Side. I can't justify any more expense haha



__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard